Sparkplug wire woes...

DanMach

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So my bike didn't run very well today. At idle it chugged real bad and vibrated some. The exhaust was missing some and such until I got it over 2k, then it ran great.

I got home and checked the wires and the right hand spark plug wire popped OUT of the cap. I pushed it back on as secure as I could but its still missing at idle.

Is there anyway to deal with this short of buying new wires? (Something I can't seem to locate). Can I cut the end of the wire and shove that in against the boot? The end of the wire has what looks like 4 small wires coming from out of its middle but it looks pretty bad in there...

Im sure I can get to work and such back for the next few days, but its a real bitch at stop lights having to rev it lightly and such.

Thanks everybody.

Edit: Clarification made.

Last edited:
You can get wire at a tractor shop,such as Tractor Supply or Rural King.You might have to buy a set for a tractor,but that's the only place other than maybe a universal cycle shop[if you can find one]. You can get the plug boots almost anywhere.You can get a splicing kit at online stores,maybe Mikesx. Don't get resistor wire! Good luck. lha

How do you mean screwed in?? My wire is just a wire going into a plastic boot. Sorry, I've never dealt with anything but pre-fab'd wires for cars.

That probably explains the issue though lol.

Had the same problem in my build thread. The boots screw on. If you look at the wire, you shouldn't be able to see any threads, but they're in there. If you look at the boot, there should be what looks like a tiny phillips head screw mounted in the boot.

When you screw the boot onto the wire, the little screw grabs the indented threads, and it spins on, just like a wiring cap.

Here's what I did. A little WD-40 on the wire to help get the boot on as far as it would go. Then Righty Tighty until there was pressure. Reinstall.

That said, I haven't tried to fire up the bike yet. But it's worth a try, and anyway, the internet says that should fix it.

Had the same problem in my build thread. The boots screw on. If you look at the wire, you shouldn't be able to see any threads, but they're in there. If you look at the boot, there should be what looks like a tiny phillips head screw mounted in the boot.
You should be able to see the strands of wire, it would help. Just nib off 1/8 inch of the HT cable rubber being careful not to cut through the copper.

Ooh xs400, how I love thee! While the bikes been running ok, I hate knowing something is on there wrong. I'll try to screw it on sunday.

Thanks everyone!

mikesxs has the ignition wires. If your plug cap does not have the screw stud sticking up inside it, buy a new set. In fact, if the boots are old, buy a new set anyway as the resistors in the caps go bad. Buy a 5 ohm set of NGK plug caps.

Just a question,pertinent in nature:what function does the resistor serve in the spark plug cap? I have wondered that since I noticed that several types are offered for sale.On my dirt bike,which has CDI ignition,I have a NGK plug cap and don't know what ohms it has.It screws into the wire,and I use di-electric grease on the threads of the cap to protect from the elements. The CDI puts out 350 volts to the coil,and that is changed to very high charge at the plug. So the question remains:what function does the resistor have. If I were to replace the wire,I would cut the wire 1/2" from the coil,then remove the insulation,and do the same with the new wire,then solder the wires together,then put silicon in the gap,then seal with heat shrink wire insulation. lha

You can run them without the resistors if you have caps without. I ended up buying the NGK resistor caps to keep things consistent and they'd have taken a week to arrive if I hadn't raised unholy hell with the local mega dealer that couldn't get them moving.

Back