Starter rebuild kits

shady stuff bro. like rolling into your girlfriends familys house for the first time and just saying "i need food". an intro would actually help your cause and people would want to help you. but the way you came in kinda sounds like your taking advantage of the site without putting anything in. wats your bike look like? wats the story? would love to hear it, but till then, i cant help ya.

Sorry newbie, I have been riding/repairing motorcycles for the last 30 years. My wife and I have ridden tandem for the last 30 years. This year she decided to get her bike license this May. So i decided to buy her a 1982 Yamaha XS400SJ for a couple of reasons. One is her height and the smaller cc's as i drive 1999 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan. The XS400 turns over very slow with the electric starter. I want to rebuild the starter to eliminate this issue and I will also replace the battery before i put it on the road. So I'm looking for a supplier of a starter rebuild kit. I forgot to mention I live near London Ontario Canada.

Welcome Thom

there's no rebuild kit per se, you can buy the brushes and clean up the commutator.
I'd replace the battery first if its sluggish, could also be the engine a bit gunged up if its been off the road a while!

I have had the engine running for about two hours. I set the timing with a timing light as this has TCI ignition. I have also set the float levels by using the tubing hooked to the drain and set to the book specs. Prior to the changes the idle would fluctuate about 200-300 rpms, now it is very steady.

much better. lol i was bustin your balls man thats all. and if you need a new starter, i have one for ya. just ripped it outta the bike, if you want it, you can have it. if id doesnt work, just send it back. PM me if interested

id surely check your battery before you did anything. even if your jumping the battery it wont turn over very well if the battery is bad. i just went through this and pulled the starter out and the brushes were fine. after i put a new battery in, bamm! works perfect.

Ditto the above, these bikes are a pita with anything other than a good battery.

Back