Starter Solenoid

SpecialK

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The starter solenoid on my 1983 Maxim 400 went out so I went to my local dealer and they wanted $70 for a stock replacement which is a bit more than I want to spend right now. Any ways I picked up a cheaper lawn tractor solenoid after reading that it should do the trick. This solenoid has 3 prongs vs 4 that the stock one has. The 3 prong solenoid is grounded out by the mounting tab where as the stock solenoid has a ground where connected to it. Is it at all possible to make this work? I hooked the solenoid up and grounded it out to the frame but the causes the engine to turn over regardless of the key position, it even turns over if the key isn't in the ignition. Should I try and source a 4 prong solenoid instead?

Thanks

It's not going to work. The stock starter solenoid doesn't ground at all. It has power in from batt/power out to starter/2 wires that goto the start switch and safety relay.

Edit- I should mention that the stock solenoid does ground out, but it's at the start switch. So since you are constantly grounding it out with the new solenoid, that's why it's always trying to start!

Thanks for the input. 4 prong it is then! Should any 4 prong solenoid work provided it fits in the space?

I went to go start the bike up and all I heard was some random clicking. My lack of electrical experience lead me to believe that it was the solenoid when it was actually just my battery (one of the cells shorted out). I proceeded to take apart what ended up being a perfectly good solenoid but one of the wires came apart internally and there's no way to put it back together. Certainly learned my lesson their. I'll go back to the shop and see if they have any different inexpensive options.

Yup, I think that has happen to most of us. I am pricing them too, if only as a what if scenrio. I MikesXS has them for 55.USD, and that link I had posted had it for 40. Then I am sure there are cheaper ones out there.

Oh Man, I pretty much did the exact same thing :doh:, just took it apart thinking it could be rusty or something inside as the bolts were a bit rusty. Think I ended up screwing it up as now it just clicks hard and quickly and only starts if I bang it a bit. I did find some cheap replacements on ebay though, so I might have to order one of those now.

Yup, I think that has happen to most of us. I am pricing them too, if only as a what if scenrio. I MikesXS has them for 55.USD, and that link I had posted had it for 40. Then I am sure there are cheaper ones out there.
Yeah that is exactly what I did haha. I wire that went from the starter switch ripped out from the coil in the solenoid though when it happened to me. Oh well, I bit the bullet and bought one for a XJ550 for $45 from my local parts dealer. Cheaper than the $70 stock model.

Back