Stock carb tuning

Thanks Dave,

I think I got it now. Between the air, idle and pilot I was completely mixed up.

Manual lists Air screw as 1-1/2 +-1/2
And they are talking about adjusting idle

Does this sound right?

If I knew what I know after 2 years into the bike I would have done a lot of things different...

Last edited:
I guess my question would be do I screw in the air jet all the way or unscrew it x turns? My carbs have been completely torn down and cleaned and am confused.

Okay, let's take a minute to clear up one thing: The Pilot Screw adjust the idle mixture. It controls air AND fuel.

To get the bike running well enough to warm up and tune, GENTLY seat the Pilot screws, then turn them out 2 turns. That should get the bike running. This is NOT the correct setting for any bike, it is a suggestion to enable the bike to run. The rest is up to you, or who ever you get to tune your bike.

Make sure you are adjust the idle mix screws and NOT the jets. A few people have done his in the past and they will fall out. Also emgo pod air filters directly on the carbs will make tuning the bike a pain. They are crap and should not even be sold to the public. Stock H-pipe with uni's or REAL k&n filters are the way to go if you don't want to run stock boxes. Lots of threads on this in the forum.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Chris that pretty much answered the question I was trying to get at. Bike hasn't ran for 5 years and I was out for few hrs today. Thank you!

Back