Stock Seca seat ergonomics

willem

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've been noticing while riding for longer periods of time (over an hour) at high speeds (60 - 80 mph) that it starts to feel a bit uncomfortable on my bike.

I'm a tall guy (6'4'' or 193 cm) so that probably is one of the reasons. But the main issue I've been having is that I actively have to keep my knees tucked into my fuel tank. It's as if the stock seat is too wide and it pushes my upper thighs outwards, if I relax my legs my knees spread out and are caught by the wind. Then I lose connection to the bike and I don't have the right amount of control.

Is anyone else having these issues? If so, would it actually help to put a narrower seat on, or alter the stock seat? I know modern bikes have much narrower seats, perhaps this is the reason?

And is anyone using this kind of seat cushion? I was thinking it might help put me a little higher up as well.
820-118_B.jpg

Try sticking something like a few rolled up towels on your seat to test a theory. For me the foot peg-to-seat distance made a big difference. The larger this distance is the straighter your legs are when you're sitting on the bike. When the distance is too small the knees have to bend. The natural position of the legs when bent is out to the side.

I'm 6'1" tall and this bike was tiny for me when it was stock. I've altered mine a great deal to make it taller. At 6'4" you're really just too big, but a seat cushion might make a big difference. For me I spent a lot on a custom seat and suspension.

Try the booster thing first to see if this is your problem. I have to imagine the seca/maxim is even lower than the sohc bike.

Another solution is highway bars of some kind. I know some of these accessories exist for a few models. If you use the highway pegs you can straighten your legs on longer rides.

Before buying a booster for your seat, I would give Spencer of Spencer's Moto Care a call or email. He did my SV650 seat and made it much, much more bearable for long trips; before him, I had to stop every 45 minutes or so because my butt hurt. The longest ride I've done with my modded seat is about an hour (upstate NY is still freezing), but I felt fine after it; ready for more. If you send him pics of you on your bike and your complaints, he'll give you an honest opinion of how much he can help.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Not sure if he can do the Seca seat; but it's worth a shot! $75 for his best work.

-Mike

Thanks Will, that's a good idea with the towels. You could be right about me just being too tall. I'll need to test that.

Looking at the seat height specifically, the DOHC models do seem a bit lower than the earlier SOHC bikes now you mention it. I'm thinking it probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade my suspension and go for a longer rear shock. It's just that this bike has 85k km on it and I don't want to sink too much $$ into it which I will never see back :)

Thanks for the tip Mike, but I'm thinking shipping my seat to him and back would be quite expensive since it would have to go overseas. Checked out that video on his site, enjoyed watching that :)

Upgrading the shock will make the seat to ground height taller but not the seat to footpeg height. The only way to change the latter is by moving the footpegs or making the seat taller.

so after riding to the other side of the country and back last Saturday with a pillow under my ass, I can say it helped. It might have raised my seat about half an inch, but it was already noticeably better. I'm going to look for a more permanent solution, perhaps I'll fill the stock seat with something.

I'll post it up here when I do. Any suggestions are welcome!

Have you still got your rear passenger pegs on the bike? Although it's not straightening your legs out, I found it far more comfortable at highway speeds to move my feet back onto the back pegs. Less wind turbulence, less fatigue. I also have clubmans on mine so my riding position is a bit more forward in the first place.

I forget how the Seca seat attaches, however, with my Maxim, I think I could raise the existing seat with long bolts & spacers of some sort if I had to (but at <5'6" I don't).

Doing so would likely mean it would be harder to take the seat on and off, but the modification shouldn't be expensive on an old bike and would likely be reversible.

Maybe make the front of the seat match the higher back part and then add and inch of dense foam to the whole thing. Then recover. That and maybe some brackets to move the pegs down a little might help. People adjust peg position all the time, so I don't think it would be too hard...

@ JaredK, I've actually tried that, but my long legs are even more folded and weird that way. I have euro bars (little lower than stock, but by no means clubman- or clipon-height) so theyre just a bit too high for that

@Lou, the Seca seat is attached with two hinges on the right hand side, and two latches on the left (one is also the helmet lock). I would have to move the helmet lock and the other latch up, and also modify the hinges on the right. I don't think it's impossible, but I'd have to weld and I don't have the tools :)

@Robsteeler, I was thinking about adding some dense foam as well. The peg adjustment would probably limit my cornering, don't think I should go that way. Adding forward sets would be possible, but i'd probably look ridiculous :laugh:

I have an 82 maxim dohc. I'm 6'2". I bought a junk seat pan off ebay for $15 so i would still have the original if my project didn't work out. I took all the old foam off, went to the local fabric store and bought 3" foam and some vinyl. I then bought a $10 electric knife and carved the foam block so it would sit on top of the pan and trimmed the top sides so it didnt look like, well, a foam block once i put the vinyl on. It looks goofy, but my butt is thankful. I would suggest putting something firm between the pan and the foam so you dont just sink down. There are a couple youtube videos on homemade refurbbing of seats.

Back