STUPID,VERY STUPID

Noodles

Noodles racing
Reaction score
So I figured I would fill you in on my escapades for the day...I got my bike running pretty good so I decided "what the hell" and took it for a little buzz down the back roads...nothing major happened but it could have..I mean..the tires are all dry rotted out (not to mention after I got back I checked the front tire pressure and it was at about 3psi.!!!), the rollers on the chain are all rusted in place, gas cap is duct taped on, front brake barely has any fluid in it, and rear brake did the thump,Diddy,thump when you hit the pedal...and the front forks feel like they are made out of silly putty. (Maybe that was the 3psi. Front tire..hard tellin') and there I am bombing down some backroad AT 50MPH- NO HELMET, AND SNEAKERS ON!!:hellno::doh: it was dumb, real dumb... felt nice to get some wind whipping by, but if something let go it would have been a very different feeling all together.:yikes:
So long story short don't be stupid like me, get your bike safe before you ride it, I just got lucky.. but now I know for sure where my $$ will go for starters:
NEW TIRES, NEW CHAIN, NEW GAS CAP, BRAKE PADS AND FLUID, AND MAYBE A HELMET!:doh: MAN WHAT AN IDIOT!!

been there, the excitement is overwhelming when it fires up and then the well take it for a test ride
thoughts start, after all that's the best way to figure out whats not working right? wrong..
ive been lucky myself, glad you realized the folly in this and know you know to resist
the urge to road test till the check list is complete.

Sprockets actually look like they are in real good shape. This bike was barley ever even ridden. Some grandma was the primary owner.

IF, you don't replace the sprockets, you will forever be buying new final drive chains! It's false economy not to replace the whole final drive, chainset (chain and both sprockets) still it's your choice! But just imagine your new chain jumps the sprocket, and locks your rear wheel? Best case scenario, a few cuts an bruises, Worst case scenario, what type of wooden overcoat (Coffin) would you like to be seen in?

Merlin

The biggest thing with sprockets is that you should never put a new one with an old one. Always do them as a pair. With yours only having 1800 miles on them you should be ok with just a chain.

I can handle using these sprockets for this season at least. Maybe when I get into doing more of a teardown this winter I'll switch em out...so yeah, here's a pic if what was stopping me from 50MPH the other day! Again I say, STUPID, VERY STUPID!
20170425_180147.jpg

But I should be fine reusing these springs on new shoes right? Just gotta clean it all up.

Attachments

• 20170425_180147.jpg
    20170425_180147.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 189
Ok, questions. I am hoping xsChris answers this cuz he seems VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE!
TIRES!- biggest I should go for is:
100/90×18 front
130/90×16 rear
Yes, no? Suggestions?
Also, thinking of removing front fender and fabbing my own aluminum fork brace.
I have a few questions about forks/front end too, but I will bug y'all with that later!:poke:

For best handling I would stick with stock. 90/90-18 front and 120/90-16 rear.

Back