Swap Shocks on 1980 xs400

Flanne32

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am new here to this forum, so please be patient if this is answered elsewhere. I am currently rebuilding a xs400 from the frame and engine up (I have a goal date of May 15th), for my fiance who is 5 foot 3. We have looked at the option of lowering her bike on the fork side and want to swap out some shocks that are 2 inches shorter. I heard that the suzuki savage would be a direct swap for the bolts on the xs. It would sit at 10 inches which is right where we want it. Is this correct?

If not, what options do I have to lower the bike about 2 inches? I would like to find stock shocks so I don't end up spending over 100 dollars on just this part. (As we are doing a budget build).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I see an older post mentioning rear shocks from a Suzuki savage.
Front fork tubes are different diameters so they're not going into the stock triples without modification. No idea about axle, Speedo, and brake fitment.

Could apparently do the rear shocks.
Plenty of bikes rolling around with the triple trees lowered on the fork tubes so the front end sits lower.

Yeah, I was planning to lower the front forks on the triple. I actually just pulled it off to get the front cleaned. So my thought was to buy the savage rear shocks that I believe come in 10 in lengths and put those on if they fit the bolts of the xs.

Then of course lower the forks of the xs the same length that the shocks are lowered in the rear.

I don't believe it matters but would buying a shock pair off any year savage be acceptable? Sorry if these questions come off as dumb or newbish ( this is my first motorcycle build), so I am learning as I go.

Attachments

• 20170427_232151.jpg
    20170427_232151.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 423
I remember people using Honda rebel shocks also. They where 10" long. I am not sure if it was the rebel 250 or 450.

Should I be looking for certain types of shock ends or just lengths? I am looking to get direct swaps versus machining them to fit. (No personal shop equipment available for that).

I would ask the seller to take pics and measurements of the ends to make sure they will work on your bike.

Back