swingarm bushings

Shum91

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, been awhile scince I've been on. looking for some advice for rear swingarm bushings. thank you .

Are you looking to switch from the stock ones to bronze or roller bearing?

Bronze will be the cheapest. Thats what I'm doing. Roller bearing would be best I'm sure but more costly. You can buy a kit for doing the roller bearing but I'm sure you could source everything yourself cheaper.

Bronze should do the trick just keep the grease on them.

Shaun

Are you looking to switch from the stock ones to bronze or roller bearing?

Bronze will be the cheapest. Thats what I'm doing. Roller bearing would be best I'm sure but more costly. You can buy a kit for doing the roller bearing but I'm sure you could source everything yourself cheaper.

Bronze should do the trick just keep the grease on them.

Shaun

Thank you, completely redoing bike, want to upgrade but unable to find witch bronze bushing will fit bike is an 81 xs400 special turning into a cafe racer. Jeremy

I bought mine from a place called sirius consolidated in cambridge ontario. Haven't fitted them yet. Be aware the 650 and 400 use the same bushing. You will find it listed as for the 650 most places.

Shaun

bronze bushes are far superior to the needles rollers in this application.

there is more support and the swing arm pivot!

These should be a lot cheaper; the hardware stores all have bronze bushings of the same style for less than 5 bucks each, but they are SAE and probably not the right size!

They should be cheaper. You could buy a piece of bronze cheap and machine them yourself if you have acess to a lathe. I was going to but the reality is after you buy the bronze your only saving 25 or 30 bucks then your down an hour or so to make them. They would be super quick to machine if you had access to the right size reamer and could just run them through quick.

If your buying these make sure you get ones with a grease thread down the bore.

Shaun

I just ordered some bronze ones from TC Bros. Price including delivery to Oz was pretty good. Will let you know what they are like when they arrive.

Cheers.

Is there a simple way to remove the bushings? I ended up using an extractor and it worked fine, wrecking the inner arm in the process. After that had to pound the opposite bushing out from the inside.
Was looking for an easier way.

Last edited:
Just put a set in my 80 and fit fine just make sure you get the tube as well. Some won't work with the stock yamaha one. All from mikes:thumbsup:

Just put a set in my 80 and fit fine just make sure you get the tube as well. Some won't work with the stock yamaha one. All from mikes:thumbsup:

THANKS CHRIS! You saw my post before i completely edited it.. . .and wondering why Z1 part number only pulls up the 500 and 650.

I just use a 8" long round bar and hit it from the back side. That sound funny:laugh:

sounds effective, i had to destroy the inner arm just to get bushings out along with it. soooooo, i will get the tube as well. doing it wrong i'll be finishing it right. Anything worth doing is worth doing right, ha.

Brass bushings in, new collar in and swingarm re-re-painted and back on.

Just to get bushings in I had to use a socket of right size, block of wood wasn't doing it.

A tip! Probably won't paint swingarm before replacing bushings and collar :doh:

Also the best "tool" to replace (and for future removal) is the old collar itself. Again, block of wood was getting me nowhere. I lined up the old collar and put masking tape around both to keep from jumping off and damage, and could repeatedly wail on it. With maybe all but 1/2" left, removed the tape.
A handy tool i'll keep in toolbox, ha.

CopyofDSC00559.jpg

eaiest way to get them on was to use a threaded rod with thick large washers and press them in using the torque action.
should not really bash them as bronze is a soft alloy and can be peened over and also get damaged!

Back