Swingarm shims outside bushing cover?

BBS360

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So I recently installed bronze swingarm bushings.
Inner bushing and bolt seem ok. No play between bolt, inner bushing, and outer bushes when assembled.
Didn't have any shims when I took it apart.
Needs shims now.

Can anyone think of a reason why a shim wouldn't work just as well between the frame and dust cover, rather than under the dust covers?
Couldn't find shims locally that fit well inside the cover but found some that fit well enough outside.
Put one on either side.
Will take them off if it will wear excessively or anything.

Attachments

• 20170408_141858 (Small).jpg
    20170408_141858 (Small).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 162
Did you torque the bolt to spec first before you checked for play? If you still have play you will need a shim/shims. They should go in the dust caps. I had to use one on my 79 but it was very thin. Almost like paper and could bend a bit. It was a factory type shim that I got from a yamaha dealer a long time ago. Did you replace the dust caps also?

Annoyingly enough the Haynes manual does not mention a torque spec in the swingarm section.
Got it out of the OEM manual. Will double-check tomorrow. Pretty sure it'll still need shims.
Will track something down.

Don't have new caps yet. Will get them eventually. Reassembling the bike with the bare minimum to be "complete" and running to pass the basic inspection to get the paperwork in my name.

Did add the swingarm zerk and used Lucas red & tacky as you suggested in a post

That'll teach me. Torqued to about 47lbs and there's no play at all.

Neither Haynes manual mentions torquing it in the reassembly section. That later one hides the number in the back.
All good now.

Back