Switch Keyed Ignition to Toggle Switch

lewkmiller

chop chop
Reaction score
XS peeps, Need help replacing keyed ignition to a "on/off" type toggle switch.
20140423_205016_WMillerCt_zps6ddcf926.jpg

I would take a voltmeter and probe the red wire and then turn the key on and then probe the other two and the one that is doesnt read is the wire that goes to the starter solenoid.

Its a kick start. No starter. I just need to be in neutral and key in middle position to start. Sorry, probably should have included that detail.

It has 3 positions. Left - off, middle - on, right - park (???). I usually stick key in at "left" position, turn to middle, then kick start.

I looked at the wiring diagram and it looks to me like you should be able to connect the blue and brown wire together and then put the red wire on the other side of the switch

Hmm. Not sure. I can check but it will have to be tomorrow. Thanks BTW for all the help! I will test out your theory on wiring as well. I'll let you know how it goes!

Yup glad I could help and like I said you should be able to just connect the brown and blue wires cuz on the diagram it said the middle position shows all three wires connected

Red is constant power and brown and blue are for lights and ignition. On an on off switch put the red wire on one terminal and the blue and brown together on the other. This is how I wired my bike.

Scorpio, Yeah my tach was busted, speedo dented, ignition light cluster cracked and broken, so I striped it all off. it was kind of a jig saw puzzle to get it all off but a lot of bolts and screws and one hack saw, it was all off.

I tried again this morning.... low and behold it started! I was working on the carbs and playing with idle and mix and it died. Now I can't start it again. My battery voltage goes really low when switch on. I checked with multimeter at battery and voltage goes down to 4-6 ish. The voltage comes back up to 10-11 ish when switched off. any thoughts?

Last edited:
Back