Syncing Carb On A 1980 400SG

jlearning1

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello

I have read many of the threads and forums and I am still a little shooken with questions.

1. How do you adjust the carb floats if they are not 26-28mm? Do you bend the float tab up or down to achieve desired height? I do know the carb must be upside down to measure the correct height

2. Pilot Jets. Do you turn them all the way down in the housing, and then back them out 3-3.5 turns?

3. Main Jets- I am not sure what you do to them?

4. Are Pilot Jet and Pilot screws the same thing?

5. Idle Speed Screw- Set the idle to 1200RPM?

6. How do you measure the floats for correctness?

Thanks

Hello

I have read many of the threads and forums and I am still a little shooken with questions.

1. How do you adjust the carb floats if they are not 26-28mm? Do you bend the float tab up or down to achieve desired height? I do know the carb must be upside down to measure the correct height

Yes, carbs upside down and adjust by bending the tab. Hold the float so it is just touching the float needle, but not depressing it (it is spring loaded). You then measure from the gasket mating surface to the top of the float. I usually get a piece of thin wood and mark 26mm from one end, then place the end on the gasket mating surface and see if the mark lines up.

2. Pilot Jets. Do you turn them all the way down in the housing, and then back them out 3-3.5 turns?

You turn them in slowly and gently until they just barely stop. Do not tighten them hard at all or the tip will break off. Then back them out 3 turns (or 3.5) and see how it runs. Adjust in or out from there.

3. Main Jets- I am not sure what you do to them?

My opinion, just make sure you don't damage it, take it out, take the emulsion tub out (the brass tube above the jet)- with the diaphragm out and main jet out, use a big screwdriver to press the the tube from above- light taps if necessary, but gentle. Then just clean them well. Clean, clean, clean.

4. Are Pilot Jet and Pilot screws the same thing?

The pilot screws are what I talked about above. The pilot jet is in the float bowl in a small tube next to the main jet. It will blocked off by a screw or a rubber stopper. Take this out and then use a small flat screwdriver to take the pilot jet out- again, just clean it.

5. Idle Speed Screw- Set the idle to 1200RPM?

Yes. After everything else is adjusted.

6. How do you measure the floats for correctness?

See above.

Back