Tach and speedo bouncing all over at high speed

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I finally bought my new front tire, I took my bike out for the first time on the interstate and hit 65-70mph,the speedometer was OK I checked it against my phone gps and was only off a couple mph, the needle was a little shakey, the tach however was bouncing all over after about 6k, I pulled off both cables and lubed them they spin with no resistance and feel fine, is the next step pulling off the gauges and taking them apart for cleaning and lube? Is that possible, I don't have the money for a new set up, worse case I can use my phone for a speedo, like I said the tach is the main issue though, also I had no issue hitting 70mph, however on my return trip I was against the wind and the bike seemed to not be able to hit those speeds as quick, does the wind really affect the little bike that much?

Posted via Mobile

Yes the wind and hills can affect these bikes that much:laugh: As for the tach they are not mechanically driven inside the housing but run on a magnetic gyro. They are kind of a pain to get all the way apart. If it's a matter of cleaning or lubing something you may be able to fix it. I have had a few with the housing around the gyro was out of round. If that happens then it's almost impossible to fix. It's just easier to get another.

Could anyone give me a link to a aftermarket tach and speedo that will work, one you guys use? I don't mind doing some modification to make them fit, I just wanna be able to use stock cables . I did a search for the drive ratios on both and got different numbers, 1982 400SJ sohc.

Should be 1:5 for the tach. You can find a stock one for cheap on ebay. and 76-77 xs360 or 77-82 sohc xs400 will work.

Back