tach quit working

bcbobbers

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
so the other day my tachometer started to kinda jump up and down a lot instead of staying relativiely still where it is running at. Then the next day is went out completely and stays around 1k the whole time im riding. Just wondering if it is easy or tough to replace the tach cable or if the tachs have a different problem that can cause them to go bad. If it's a easy fix I will just do it and keep the tach, but I don't really need it and if it is gonna be a pain I am thinking about just removing the tach and neutral light, any input would be appreciated.

thanks in advance guys, you always come through, this is the best forum I've seen since the people on here aren't a bunch of donks trying to make everyone feel dumb.:thumbsup:

I had a similar issue. I pulled the tach out of its casing and pumped it full of WD-40. I put it in where the tach cable connects, which when done repeatedly, pulled a lot of crap out of it. I also squirted it in where the one light slips in, aiming it at the centre of the tach. It will make the face of the tach a little shiny with residue, but mine works pretty good now. It was also suggested to me on this forum to oil the cable. Hope this helps.

Back