Taking the air filter box off

festy

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 1982 xs400 and today i took the carbs off and measured to hopefully install single pods on it and get rid of that bulky air filter box. i disconnected everything from the box and i have it moving freely in place but i can not just simply slip the box out. im thinkin i might have to take the starter motor off n then maby ill be able to twist and turn it in such a way to get it out the side. this thing is sooo bulky im not even sure that will work. i would really love to not take the engine apart to slip it out and also id prefer to not cut it out haha but i can not figure this out if anyone has an idea please let me know :D

Its been awhile since I have had the stock boxes but I definatly don't remember taking out the starter to take them out. I just remember a lot of wrestling with it. I am sure others will chime in but in the meantime good luck:thumbsup:

hah ok thanks man. i cand believe how hard it is to take it out i tried prying it and nothing. i think it has to come out the side of the bike and not towards were the carbs would be then out the side kind of hard to explain i have some pics as well i can post

Hey mate just took mine off the other day :) You don't need to remove starter motor. Undo the fuse box so you can move that out the way. Pull battery box off the two rubber mounts (sounds like you have if it free). I pulled mine out the left side of the bike. Once free tip it so its sideways with the bottom facing the left side of bike. Now its just a matter of moving it around and making sure cables etc don't get in the way and finding a way out. Its a bit fiddly but will come out. Good luck:thumbsup:

my fuze box is on my rear fender the cables do run down and actually connect to it at the bottom of the air filter box which was the last thing i disconnected ill give it another go tomorrow hah

Unloosen the clamps they should come right off.Beleive its not as difficult of a job as putting the carbs back on once they been removed.I worked a sweat in 25* weather getting mine back on.Also the rubber crossover pipes are biatch cause theres no room.If you put pods on you will want to take those off then the battery box is in the way so you have to move it.

ok i got 2 questions now. one pertaining to jetting. if i do the single pod filters i was deff going to go up one size on the main/pilet if i do a turn out muffler tip on it like this one (http://www.mikesxs.net/product/07-0778.html) should i go up 2 sizes? and then my other question is what about the one hose that goes from the front of the air box to what looks like a nipple on the tranny? with the new single pods do they come with a nip on them so i can connect it to the nipple on the tranny? if im not explaining myself good enough i can take pictures hah.

im about to go out and try and get the box off........ round 2!

for the tranny breather ive seen a couple people use these. http://www.mikesxs.net/product/15-0680.html

seems easy enough thanks. i disconnected the fuze box/half fender but cant completly take it off since their are 5 million wires hooked to and threw it taped and zip tied every which way i pushed it up and back as much as i can and the box still wont budge out its close but no cigar

Its hard to just give a number for jetting as there are many other variables (ie. climate, height above sea level, etc) but i would say about 3 up on mains and 1 up on pilot. I would also purchase additional mains and pilots around the same range to play with. Its hard to tell how free flowing that exhaust is so trial and error would be your best bet. Holy grail of carb guides http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf. As for the breather filter I purchased one from a nearby autozone it was a tight fit but it worked:bike:

Back