This is for sale in my city...

Way too much money for what it is. I have seen nicer for half as much. I don't think it will handle well with them super fat tires either:laugh: I not sure why people put fat tires on bike, must be for looks because it wont go faster than the stock size. The xs650 craze is over.. I am seeing a lot more "custom" xs650's for sale everyday.

I agree... for $6k save up a few more months and get the fuel injected Thruxton. Modern engineering and cafe steez (and a warranty...whaaaat?)

if someone handed you 6k and said you could only use it on a motorcycle i dont think this is the one u would pick!

Looks nice, but that's like a 2500$ bike tops... I think this guy is really stretching for 6K, i bet if you keep an eye on it you will see it next month at 5.5K, and then 5K and eventually dropping until someone buys it lol If the seller is in no hurry then there is no reason why he shouldn't shoot for the big money haha I've done that before and actually had someone buy it, it was great...

Ooooh yeah, way to expensive at 6k but that's what everyone in my city does. POS bikes that hardly run will still go for $1200!

Now, If I won the lottery it could make it a good ornament on a train...

Sweet Bike not so crazy about the price.... for the money I put into making mine great I have to shake my head when I look at what I could buy for the same coin if I was a very patient person

check out this '86 xj700 (650 with bore?) maxim... less than one thousand Canadian bucks
http://www.peterborocyclesalvage.com/motorcycle.htm#13207658

Cycle salvage has tons of stuff cheap, never seen soo many side cars in one showroom either. Just don't bother trying to call and ask for parts unless its catalogue $#!t cause they keep a very loose seasonal vehicle yard inventory... if they have it you will only know when you scour their yard and remove it yourself ... not much help over the phone either.... but you can get lost inside and out tracking down goodies.... I filled a box and they didn't even look inside and just said $40 will cover it (I bought new tires and battery too though) but I knew I should have thrown in a few extra carbs!

Last edited:
... check out this '86 xj700 (650 with bore?) maxim... less than one thousand Canadian bucks ...
No active link or photo came through - would love to see it if you have it.

You can find bikes priced by crack smokers everywhere though - http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...s-choppers-81-Yamaha-xs400-W0QQAdIdZ550914896

I looked at an '85 xj700 last summer. It was beautiful, like new but he wanted $2k. It was different from the xj650s which were ended in '84 - more upswept exhausts, chrome instrument cases, a different tank etc., but I believe, with 2 valves per cylinder, it's engine was based on the 650.
In '85 or '86 Yamaha also brought out a 700/750MaximX - a 20 valve rocket (5 valves per cylinder). This engine was apparently quite different and the chassis and frame were all redesigned as well.
Do you know if the one you are looking at is the "X"?

didnt realize never even posted a link.....
That add made me laugh... maybe he gave it a good cleaning that day and maybe the bike has been babied. Being 2k deep myself I would say if it were pristine (with 57 thou) maybe he would be able to take a small hit on the price and his pride and find a buyer.

If I were buying again why would I want that bike knowing all of my work is to get it running and look as different from that as possible? A running bike is half the fun and challenge gone, because I would want to build "mine" anyway I would find a mostly complete bike on the brink of scrap metal and survival! After seeing that add I feel like my bike needs more... or less....

That bike would easily sell for that price and more over here...

We don't have licensing restrictions here so it is much more uncommon for people to spend a lot on a "slow" bike. It happens, just not nearly as often. Realistically I think that bike would go for around $3,000 USD where I am.

$6,000 USD can buy a really nice used bike; pretty much whatever you want really. I could get a low miles late model Yamaha R1 for that kind of money!

I meant the xs400 in lou rangers comment for 2 grand, I agree the one in the first post is definatly over priced....

I just seen on cl yesterday near me in Flint a 81 xs 650 in decent running condition,the guy was asking $900 but wanted to sell it seriously fast cause he has bills to pay or so he says.It also came with an extra tc bros hard tail.

No active link or photo came through - would love to see it if you have it.

You can find bikes priced by crack smokers everywhere though - http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...s-choppers-81-Yamaha-xs400-W0QQAdIdZ550914896

I looked at an '85 xj700 last summer. It was beautiful, like new but he wanted $2k. It was different from the xj650s which were ended in '84 - more upswept exhausts, chrome instrument cases, a different tank etc., but I believe, with 2 valves per cylinder, it's engine was based on the 650.
In '85 or '86 Yamaha also brought out a 700/750MaximX - a 20 valve rocket (5 valves per cylinder). This engine was apparently quite different and the chassis and frame were all redesigned as well.
Do you know if the one you are looking at is the "X"?

That is an X. The link worked for me. I have had one since new in 1986, and they are rockets. The 700 was developed as a tariff fighter when H-D got the US to put an additional tax on any import over 700cc.

Back