Those bronze swingarm bushings

NewHavenMike

1976 XS360C
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered these a couple weeks ago and I could not get them into the swing arm to save my life. They were very tight and one side ended up seating crooked on me. I took some anger out on the poor part after and ended up calling it a loss...

Im really tempted to get the needle bearing kit but I dont think this bike even needs one or that it will make a difference.. I just got a new job so I have more cash to spend on parts.

Anyone have any special methods to get the bronze bushings in? I was thinking I can get a long threaded rod and some nuts/washers and atleast ill be able to tighten that up and bring the bushings into seating evenly instead of a wooden block and mallet... I KNOW lol.. I just got impatient and that turned into anger and I ruined my parts.

Yep, long bolt and nuts. Also lube helps. Or even put the bushings in the freezer overnight at they should be real easy going in.

Anyone have any special methods to get the bronze bushings in? I was thinking I can get a long threaded rod and some nuts/washers and atleast ill be able to tighten that up and bring the bushings into seating evenly instead of a wooden block and mallet... I KNOW lol.. I just got impatient and that turned into anger and I ruined my parts.
That's exactly what I did with the threaded rod.
If you look in the second picture you'll see the final arrangement of nuts that worked:
http://www.xs400.com/threads/what-did-you-do-with-your-xs-today.7063/page-218#post-165752

3/8" threaded rod
Two nuts back to back, locked together to prevent rotation.
Lots of washers. Used some thicker 1/2" washers against the bushings for a better support, then a few 3/8 washers, then the nuts on one end and a rod coupling on the other end for wrenching.
The multiple washers allow the outer ones to spin while the ones against the brass remain stationary.
Keeps the washers from scuffing up the bronze.
Used the rod coupling to get more thread engagement. Might not have been necessary but it's a bit easier to keep a wrench on it than a normal nut.

Use lots of grease on the threaded rod and in the rod coupling, or whichever nut you use to twist it down.

Grease up the bushing too.

Ok great thanks. I didnt even think to put them in the freezer also. I did have the bushings greased up too, man that turned into a mess! Im gonna have to strip and repaint the swing arm again also. Within a month, I should have everything I need to get it rolling.. Which reminds me I need to take some pictures of my progress..Ive been holding out on my build thread if it still exists.

Back