Tips on setting idle screw correctly?

Let me also clarify that I ride it for a second and tried making adjustments and couldn't get it anywhere close to running right...

The most common thing I do, invaribly, is when I start with the carbs, I will forget to cap both vacuum ports, the brass tube betwen the carb, and engine, or the vacuum tube to the fuel tank won't be attached. Which will give you grief. One of us has posted the 6 steps to fine tuning your carbs, if you haven't made a manometer yet, and using that from the start of this project. I have my fuel tank on a ladder or two 5 gallon buckets, so I can get to idle mix (pilot) screw. With the manometer setup, I know I don't have to worry about vacuum leaks at this stage of the setting.

Let me also clarify that I ride it for a second and tried making adjustments and couldn't get it anywhere close to running right...
Did you ride it hard for 20 minutes and then go step-by-step through all the steps outlined above (post #34)?
There's no such thing as cutting to the chase (skipping steps) when doing this sort of set-up.

That sounds like a clutch slip. Make sure it's adjusted correctly and your using the right oil.

Wow! Why do it the hard way? I use a double ended 1/4" screwdriver bit that I've attached a washer to. The washer acts like a thumb wheel. I can adjust my pilot screws in less than 5 minutes without removing anything from my bike.

Don't work harder, work smarter!
brilliant idea .thanks for that

Back