Tire mounting question...

sayosen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Mounted the new tires, but I dont think the tire is sitting right. The line that goes around the tire dips under the rim at one point leading me to believe the tire is not seated correctly. I have tried repositioning it both while inflated and uninflated. I have also tried the "hit it with a mallet to get it seat properly". Short of taking it to my "less-than-helpful" local shop, is there any other way to get this to seat correctly? The way it is sitting now - will it cause uneven wear and/or dangerous riding conditions?

full

If the wheel is currently off the bike and if you bought the tire from a dealer, I would take it over and ask the dealer to explain how the tire is not defective. If the tire came out of the mold crooked, he should replace it with one which is symmetrical.

First though, he will likely try and prove to you that it is your wheel's edge which is not symmetrical. Did you check it out visually while you had the old tire off before mounting the new one?
I am not familiar with spocked M-C wheels, but I remember when I was a kid that my bicycle wheels could go crooked if the spokes when out of adjustment.
Is there any chance that the tire is fine and that your spokes need to be adjusted (selectively tightened/loosened) ?

Deflate, plenty of lube, ensure NOTHING stopping it from popping on, inflate to 50/60 psi when it slips into correct alignment deflate to correct pressure. Make sure that your rim tape (the band that sits on top of the spoke adjusters) is in good condition first
99% of time will pop on before that pressure with plenty lube...... enjoy

Thanks guys. Checked out the wheel when off - and while lacing and truing it both vertically and horizontally. Got everything to well within factroy spec so either a bad tire or just not seated properly - which is what I think. I may have to try the over inlation method you recommended tjtoo, though I will admit I am afraid I will blow the damn tube!

... I may have to try the over inlation method you recommended tjtoo, though I will admit I am afraid I will blow ...
A word to the wise re "mounting": Never over-inflate without the proper "tube" and lots of good "lube" - per tjtoo. :yikes:
But if you have lube and tube, inflate as often as can! You only go around once ... :wink2:

Deflate, plenty of lube, ensure NOTHING stopping it from popping on, inflate to 50/60 psi when it slips into correct alignment deflate to correct pressure. Make sure that your rim tape (the band that sits on top of the spoke adjusters) is in good condition first
99% of time will pop on before that pressure with plenty lube...... enjoy

Just wanted to let you know the over-inflation method worked. Thanks.

its most likely not seating entirely. I have mounted and dismounted about 6 tires and ion ever one this has been a factor. There is a pretty clear right and wrong and that amount of tire being inside the rim still will produce a violent wobble. I usually mix up car wash soap and water and deflate the tire and spread that over the bead, even in between the tire and rim and pump it up, also sometimes a tie strap around the outside can help even out the pressure

Id read that tire shine/dressing makes a great tire mounting lube as it doesnt dry too quickly. Worked great for me, plus it left the tires all shiny.

don't use tire shine on normal days though! It ruins your grip. Tire shine is for people who drive those tin cans with four wheels ;)

Back