Two questions(shifting and carbs)

mattg666

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, everything has been fine pretty much with everything, I believe my carbs are running a little lean so I kind of have to compensate and not have one of the cylinders sucking so much air so it doesn't just Han out at high rpms but it runs fine doing so since I don't need to go highway speeds, and it isn't anything drastic as far as cutting the valve off, just one is SLIGHTLY more closed than the other to compensate... And my carbs can't be adjust from the outside for making it richer or leaner so I'm assuming they have to be rejected since I'm running pods and straight pipes on them. But my question is this... How do I know which one to order? And I know it's probably just a trial and error thing... But I'm just curious what other people are using and how to go about the process of Doing that. Like which jets do I change out and how do the sizes work? And also... Every now and again going from 5th to 6th it will pop in to neutral it seems... But it doesn't go all the way back down to neutral because when I just shift up again it pops into 5th, so I was also curious if anybody else has a problem like this and what the result could be? But other than that, these Are all just minor adjustments I'm tinkering with and it's been running fine.

You said you can't adjust your carbs from the outside? Do you mean that you idle mix screws are still capped? If they are you will need to un-cap them. There are a few good threads on this. Open headers are about the worst way to run a motor for a good running bike. I would at least consider some kind of muffler for some back pressure on the engine. Also have you synced the carbs with a manometer yet?

I think you're missing what I'm saying... And there is nowhere to adjust how much gas goes into the carbs or not... I can adjust the syncing of them and the idle... Not how much gas goes in like you can on other carbs... So anyways my question is... How exactly do you rejet these cRbs? Do you replace all jets or just the main jet? Or just the pilot jet? Anyways... And also about the shifting

Pilot jets are for the idle to 1/4 throttle. Your needle and needle jet is for 1/4 to 3/4 throttle and the mains are for 3/4 to full throttle. I was talking about your idle mix screws that meters the fuel air mix at idle to 1/4 throttle. You should have them.

Attachments

• DSC02624.jpg
    DSC02624.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC02626.jpg
    DSC02626.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC02625.jpg
    DSC02625.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 56
Oh ok! Gotcha! I did not realize those were there because every diagram I've looked at has lead me somewhere else on the carbs and says they are there but was not the case on the carbs I have!

There are a few good threads on this in the forum. Just do a search.:)

Back