uneven chain tension, one half tight, one half loose????

stephen2us

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi.. new to the forum and to bikes in general. I am doing some minor things to the xs400 special II i got, and while cleaning the chain to later lubricate it, I was checking the tension. half of the lower chain is about 3/4 (good) slack, but when I rotated the back tire, the other lower half of chain is fairly tight, maybe around 1/4 slack. I did notice when I rode the it, there is some back and forth pull when I coast without throttle... Now, I wonder if it's due to the uneven chain tension...

Is this amount, or any amount, of chain unevenness in tension, normal? I'd hate to have to change the chain (no clue how), etc...

Thanks
Steve

Hi Stephen,

could it be the sprocket are worn out? or the bike was sitting for a longer time and the chain is partly corroded?

If you would take the chain off, there would be parts that can be easily moved, and part that can hardly be moved. Maybe intensive cleaning and "cooking" the chain in grease can that take these effects away.

Any way you should take a look at the sprockets, if the teeth are out of shape, like asymetric, sharp or appear to be worn out, you should change both sprockets and chain, not just one component.

Viele Grüße aus Wuppertal, Uli

Chains do wear uneven. That's why when you adjust your tension, you rotate the wheel til the tightest point and check it there.

Back