Vintage Racer?

Orgoth225

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about modding my Xs-400 into a vintage track bike/cafe racer. Does this bike have the performance that would be able to keep up with others and if not what mods would be acceptable to make. Many thanks!!!

Honestly, it depends what you mean by "others" and what kind of riding. Riding freeways or long sweepers, you will struggle but in tight roads you will have fun.
Drewpy has a video of himself on a track overtaking an RD400.

With weight reduction and bolt-ons my '78 pulls harder than the average car on the street at low speeds. There isn't a lot of grunt above about 60 mph. On a track without a lot of long straights you'd do just fine.

what would be the first things to remove? I know the rear fender has to go and the chain guard but is there anything else that I can replace without compromising structural stability.

The rear "sub-frame" can be removed and replaced with a hoop. The stock seat and exhaust are quite heavy. Even the blinkers are very heavy compared to a modern plastic one. If you're really into racing I'd remove the electric starter if you have one. Using only the kick start allows one to utilize batteries that weigh less than a pound. Clip-ons are great as well, but may require some rear-sets to maintain comfort and posture.

Would some pod filter help boost a few more horses out of it. Also what are the most compatible rearsets that I could buy without having to weld. Many thanks.

I saw on 'cafe racer' tv the other night...they shaved 14lbs by ditching the starter and another 12 or so by going with a small cell battery...or something like that....battery is sorta pricey.

Pods and exhaust will tend to open up the top end, which is good for racing and riding at high rpms. I think HoughMade is right; in any amateur-level competition divided into classes the rider is going to make the biggest difference. Oh, and remember, the focus of these kind of track days is often not to "win." Go out and have a good time. The xs400 is quite nimble and a lot of fun to ride.

the guys on the xs400.de site race a couple of xs400.

they fitted xs360 crank (lighter) 320mm disks but with original caliper for their regs. gas flow heads,

you can get bigger valves, CR carbs, megacycle cam. free flow exhaust and pods. should get the bike up to 55 bhp.

I have a standard xs400 which I gas flowed, everything else is standard except for twin disks. up to 80 i'm pretty much up there with the rest.

With free flowing exhaust and pods,you must change the jetting of the carbs,about 2 sizes on the mains,and 1 or 2 on the pilot,and 1 clip position on the slide. Then the fine tuning begins with plug chops to dial in the tuning.Good luck with the build. lha

Back