what oil do you use????

lduberti

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello men, wanted to know if I can tell what kind of oil you use in your XS400 ??? here in my country the weather is hot in summer and cold in winter, think 20-50 is fine ?? synthetic, semi-synthetic or mineral?
Thank You

5-30w is good for warmer climates. Most 4 stroke guys are running 15-40w rotella. I've been running royal purple. Oil is all personal preference, I would choose one, try it out. See how you like the shifts and the bikes performance. If you like it, stick with it. If not change it up and try another. The deciding factor imo is which weight and to run in the climate your bike will be in most. Hope this helps.

Make sure it has a MA rating and is for wet clutches. 20w-50 for warm weather and 10-30/40 for 40 or below.

Attachments

• DSC02881.jpg
    DSC02881.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 484
One up on the Castrol Actevo! It is some good stuff, I run it in all my air-cooled atvs, motorcycles, lawnmower etc. Holds up very well to the high temps of an air-cooled engine.

Any opinions on Castrol's Grand Prix four stroke 5W-20? Last time I checked Walmart it was the only 5W-20, as recommended for the bike, that was wet-clutch compatible.

There is also the 15W-40 Rotella Triple-T that has been recommended on the forum. Meets JASO standards for wet clutches.

Would there be any benefit/drawback to mixing the two? It doesn't often get very hot or very cold here.

Attachments

• 90457.jpg
    90457.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 262
Blending oils is for chemists. Anyone else doing so is just messing around. Just like using additives is a fools game, designed to separate you from your money. Remember Slick 50? Synthetic blend oils (semi-synthetic) are no better than conventional oils that they are made of. Blended oils were designed by marketing departments as a way of charging more for their cheapest products. Don't be fooled by their games.

Use an oil that meets or exceeds all the manufactures requirements. Make sure the oil gets hot enough to evaporate moisture - above 80C (180F) regularly. Hot oil is good, cold oil is bad. Change the oil and filter more often if doing short rides, city riding, cold weather, dusty or sandy conditions, etc. If mainly riding highways, and long rides, the oil change interval can be increased.

Shell's Rotella T 15W40 and T6 5W40 Synthetic are widely available in North America, meet JASO MA spec, and are reasonably priced. I personally use T6 in my DOHC with virtually no oil consumption over a change interval. And the 30+ year old seals on the engine haven't started leaking, despite all the dire warnings on the internet.

Back