What size clip ons do I order?

mpark620

mpark620
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm about to take off my drag bars on my bike and going with the clip ons. My fork tube measures at 1.25 inches which translates to 31.75 mm in width. So I'm wondering what clip on sizes I should go with in this case. Do I go with the 33mm, and would that fit fine around the forks? Or am I going to have to go with something smaller:shrug:? Anything would help!

Best,

Mikey

If you have an SOHC model you want 33mm. I believe the DOHC Maxim is 35mm.

Oh, and the design of the clip-on can have a large effect. If the clamp/bolts are at the wrong angle they might hit the tank on full lock. I had this issue with cheap clip-ons on my '78 with the boxy style gas tank. A different design would have fixed the issue.

If you turn your bars to full lock on either side you will see how small the gap is between the tank. You don't want the bolts to be in that area. Some designs push them to the side more or to the front of the fork etc.

Thanks bcware!
I have the xs400S 1982 Special, I'm assuming this is a SOHC model... ??
Would the 33 mm still work if the fork measured at 31.75mm, or would I need to put a little spacer around the tubes?

I'll definitely be looking out for the angling as well, had a little issue with my current bars, but they aren't too bad.

I'd need a picture to tell you if you have an SOHC.

I would just go with 33 mm clip-ons if you have an SOHC!

Back