What the hell is this and what can I do to fix it?

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
:banghead: Man this thing has been frustrating, but I think I am onto something here finally!!! :wtf:

OK, I found a nasty place in my harness. Rather than sending someone through an already long and confusing thread, I am making yet another. Hope this is OK, because in this case, it's also a very simple question I know one of you ought to be able to answer easily. What it was was covered in clear plastic and there were a couple of wires with receptacles. These wires were solid and not stranded like a fuseable link or diode perhaps, but it is definitely mangled beyond repair or recognition. The frame had rubbed the harness and the wiring was burnt as well as losing connection. This is a photo of what is left now that I've unraveled what was there. What makes me nervous about it is that one wire is sky blue and the other sky blue with a yellow stripe. I don't want to just splice a wire in without knowing exactly what those are and the black and white key in the wiring diagram is impossible to read if I can't see where each wire ends up. This is the beast; what is it, and how can I repair it?

Attachments

• CAM00003.jpg
    CAM00003.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
OK, I suspect (but am not sure) that it had to do with the auxiliary lighting that I took off because it was rusted up and mostly burned out. I did not reconnect the wires, just taped them off and stowed them out of the way. The bike now works perfectly and all the lights are fully functional as well. I am 99.9% sure the ignition problem is solved, but as long as I have been chasing this demon I am knocking on wood and sayin' a little prayer! Wish me luck!

Well it's no longer a problem. Just rode to the gas station on a road called Chicken Coupe road. How is this for irony; I almost hit a chicken that had flown it's coupe! My loud pipes saved a life today!

Back