Whats a good welder to begin with?

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys would recommend using as a first welder? All I need it for is steel, such as doing a rear loop on my frame and some mounting brackets etc, so fairly light work im not doing anything too heavy duty or critical. Preferably looking for something relatively inexpensive. Any tips, opinions, recommendations, or pros/cons to different ones is appreciated!

I used an Arc welder (stick) for 30 years and did the tracker with it.

I have just bough a 2nd hand mig welder and its great for thin steel and I can buy the little argon/co2 bottles cheaply.
SIP migmate, not the best at feeding the wire through but for what I use it for and the cost £20, can't argue.

Get a decent MIG. It should be more than fine with anything you will encounter for a bike/car/home project. Teaching yourself to weld with a MIG is reasonably easy. If I can do it almost anyone should be able.

Cheers guys, looks like mig is generally accepted as a better choice. Just read through that thread Charles thanks for that. My budget I guess is $250 or less for welder and what ever for mask and gloves and accessories.

I have come across a complete set up in my area. Its an old Australian made arc welder from the 70's that has copper coils they have the reputation as being indestructible and dependable...hit google for the info:) The guy has it listed as excellent condition, looks like he just used it for home hobby stuff. It comes with a steel welding table and a couple of helmets and gloves and a few different size sticks.
He wants $150 for the lot, does that sound like a good starting point (even though its arc) or worthwhile buy?

get one of those electronic masks. never used one before and don't know how i did without it!

.....might be just for table and stuff. then get a cheap MIG for thin stuff

Hi Greasyfingers Just red your post about the welder you found for sale. Sounds like a good deal to me. I know it's a stick welder but anyone more than 40 years old would have learned on one of those in shop class. I'm no welder by any stretch of the imagination but I can still make a passable weld with a mig welder. I think if you'd find a good quality mig welder set up you'd be more than happy. I'd also suggest an auto darkening helmet. I didn't have one and had trouble seeing where to start the weld. Now my eyes are paying a price since I'd start with my helmet up then drop it to continue my welding pass. Stupid!!!! Also can't help that I work cutting steel tubeing with Laser machines. Even though they're well shielded there are times you have to watch the cut to diagnose an issue.

Yep and I know better but then well you know. I get stupid and in a hurry to see results. Thing is My older brother is a structural welder and has taught me some technique with his machines. Think I'm going to buy a small 110V mig unit again so I can do some fab work. Oh and I'll get one of those cool auto darkening helmets to save my eyes from further damage.

Back