What's up with the cam chain? How to remove cam/cam chain?

thebeardedone

Bobber
Reaction score
I rode my Dad's '81 for a few years with no problems at all.:bike: It ran amazing and has clean carbs. Last year I didn't ride it at all, but the second time I started it I got 300 yards down the road and it killed. Spewed oil all over the road out of the right exhaust.

Last night I started digging into it finally and want to know how to get the head off. I am a little intimidated by the cam chain through the center of the engine.:confused: How do I get the cam out without f-ing up the timing? Or losing the chain? I thought about wiring the chain up to the frame, but that's only one part of a solution. I really don't want to have to split the cases or tear down half of the engine to time it (although I will if I have to).

Has anyone ever had this problem? I was thinking that it dropped a valve with the amount of oil on the ground, but the valves are in place. So now thinking it might be a valve guide or ring issue.

You need to read the manual. I am happy to help, but I am not going to rewrite it for you on the forum. It's free for download in the sticky thread and answers all of your questions about tearing the top end down.

You do not have to split the case to time the engine. You do need to take end top end off to see where the damage is.

Follow the instructions in the manual. When you run into a problem post on here and we'll help you.

Sounds like a piston or ring issue. You will have to removed the entire top end for this. There are two bolts on the cam sprocket that you need to remove. Then the two chain guides, front one pulls out and the rear has two bolts for the tension mechanism. Then that slides out. After that the cam can be slid out. There is a complete write up in the manual for this.

Back