What's your favorite brake pad and why?

16VGTIDave

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've searched and didn't see a thread that specifically discussed different brake pads, so I'm asking!

I'm looking to change the front brake pads on my Maxim as I'm not happy with the performance of the organic EBC FA81 pads I currently have installed. These pads are okay when cold, requiring one finger for a normal stop. And they are virtually silent, rarely a squeak out of them, which is nice. But they require too much effort when warmed up and don't stop as aggressively as I'd like, even when grabbing the brake very hard. I have no problem flexing the caliper with a 2 finger pull. However, a sudden stop from highway speeds is not confidence inducing. :yikes: The pads are also galling the rotor, which to me is a bad sign. :( I haven't had these pads what I'd consider hot (never smoking or even smelling hot), so I can't comment on how they would perform, but considering how they are when warm, I don't expect good results.

So, my question to you is: What is your favorite (or least favored) brake pad and why? Can you describe their performance when cold, warm, and hot? How are they wearing on the rotor? Do they squeal or are they silent? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your input!
Dave

if you have not gotten them hot, how did you bed them properly?

EBC highly recommends bedding organic brake pads to achieve optimal performance and i think organic pads are prone to fade a bit under hard braking...

im not sure of any better pads tho, i dont think the selection is all that vast

http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/bedding-in-new-motorcycle-pads-and-rotors

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Sesty! However, your link isn't working. Defining "hot" for brakes is the question. I had followed a similar break-in procedure as advised in the paperwork that came with the pads. But since I did it in cool weather, the pads never got smoking hot. The caliper, pads and rotors were uncomfortably hot to the touch. I, probably mistakenly, thought that would be good enough for organic pads. What is really annoying me is not only do the EBC pads not work well when warm, but they are starting to chew up the rotor. :mad: I'll try to get a couple hard stops in today and see if it helps, but I'm not expecting much...

I've done some research and DP Brakes has their "Standard" pads available. Quoting their site:

" Industry High HH+ friction rating
Low wear rate
Reduced brake dust
High-tech ceramic heat shield
Strong initial bite
Very progressive, controllable feel

The DP Standard brake pads are our OEM replacement sintered metal compound. Ideal for everyday street, off-road and ATV use, they provide excellent all-round braking hot or cold, wet or dry. Where applicable a high-tech ceramic heat shield is applied to the rear of each backplate to reduce the heat transfer into the fluid and prevent brake fade. Lasting up to 3 times the mileage of most other brands they have one of the lowest wear rates on the market. Very low levels of brake dust and no noise and no thermal cycle bedding-in required are also benefits of the DP Standard"

Sounds good, especially the friction rating, but has anyone tried them? With what results? They are relatively expensive around $50, but that is nothing compared to not stopping. However, I don't want to throw good money away...

Back