Where does this go?!

cody1awesome

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
During my teardown and rebuild I came across this part. I think it came off of my XS400, but I'm not for certain. Does anyone recognize it?

Attachments

• 20141217_143235.jpg
    20141217_143235.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20141217_143228.jpg
    20141217_143228.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 112
  • 20141217_143231.jpg
    20141217_143231.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 109
Beautiful. This is probably a noob question, but what is the purpose of this part? XSChris, I wish my bike was half that clean under the cover. I spent 30 minuted with a screwdriver just scraping off crud.

It seems to protect the shift shaft from the chain as when you accelerate the chain gets pulled taut up on the top and the slack in the system gets shifted below. Also keeps the crud and grit out.

Beautiful. This is probably a noob question, but what is the purpose of this part? XSChris, I wish my bike was half that clean under the cover. I spent 30 minuted with a screwdriver just scraping off crud.

:laugh: That is my spare motor that I have not cleaned. Like moto said, keeps the shaft and shaft seal clean from chain sling oil/crud.

Ok, awesome. Here's another question. According to this link

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400-2e-1978_model8665/partslist/B-07.html#results (I hope that worked)

I have all the parts EXCEPT I don't remember ever seeing 13-15 on that list. It's possible that they weren't there, or that just like the shaft guard I just misplaced them, but how important are they? I'm not opposed to buying new ones if I have to (I think the seal is still in place) but I'm also itching to get this thing back together. I'll have to give it a looking over when I get back to my friend's garage.

13-15 is inside/edge of the case. There should be a seal between the shaft and the case, which is where those parts reside.

Make sure it's all there and looks like this. If that c-clip and washer is missing the shaft can slide in and cause a bushing on the other side of it to fall off. Then you will have to remove the clutch side case cover a re-install it.

Attachments

• DSC02795.jpg
    DSC02795.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 83
That picture settles my nerves some. I'm pretty sure I never took the shifter down that far, so those parts are almost certainly still there. Ok, here's one last general question. Should I bother rebuilding the motor? It ran when I got it but there was gas in the oil, which I assume is from dirty carbs. I just rebuilt the forks and ancient swamp sludge came out, so there's a good chance the motor was neglected. It's a budget build so I might just skip the motor and see how it goes, then if it sucks I'll rebuild that too.

I would first adjust your valves to the correct clearances and then do a compression test. That will tell you a lot right there on the top end condition.

I would give it a few good oil changes after a few hundred miles of riding. My 80 had gas in the motor when I got it. As long as you don't run the bike with it in there and the seals are not leaking it should be good.

Back