Where to hide the battery?

MechNewb

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im looking to pick up an 1980 XS400 Special this week and work on it over the winter. Im gonna be going for the cafe racer style and am looking for a way to possibly hide the battery. Ive seen it hidden under the seat but those are usually custom jobs. Does anyone know of any aftermarket seats made for the xs that hide the battery?

Yeah thats what it seems to be. Unfortunately I just moved to Saskatchewan for school and am in an aprtment with no access to a grinder or welder or anything. Thanks for the help.

Fiberglass is your friend - no welding required, just bolts. Grinding is a requirement, but if you watch Canadian tire, they have a grinder that goes on sale for $20 every season or so...

Yeah, but you'd have to keep the existing frame, which might be lardy, depending on the eventual design.

I suppose you could cut the frame with a rasp - room mates might not like the noise for the weekend, though.

Well I wouldn't suggest cutting anything with a rasp! I only used it to smooth things out, and it made a proper mess in the garage while I was at it (wear a mask).

Back