Why are the left and right jets different on carbs

I'm simply trying to determine if it has anything to do with fueling as that one poster suggested. The XS400 is phased to 180 degrees. So when cylinder one is bdc, cylinder two is tdc. I guess I don't see why that would have anything to do with causing a lean condition. Like I said, simply discussing someone else's comment, chief!

I'm happy. You worked through the challenge, and arrived at the correct conclusion. :)

I hope that in the future others aren't led astray by this or the other thread.

But wait! What if the polarizing effect of the tachyon array causes a low pressure system between the carbuncle and the rotator assembly! That would cause the lifter wrist pins to have greater drag over the drive shaft, and explain the different sized jetting!

So I have read the same thing in a couple of different posts, even on some xs650s. It doesnt make sense to me that the different cylinders would need different size jets, but maybe they do.

I read one post where I guy put a 2-1 on his 650, and said that he could never get it just right. He said one cylinder would be dead on and the other had to either be either to rich or to lean.

I believe the shape and air flow of the original box probably contribute to the main portion of the difference on my particular bike, but maybe phasing has something to do with it. Most bikes run the same size jets from what I have seen, so I think that is what Ill do, and go from there. After all jets arent that hard to change.

Please don't use a different engine with different features for comparison. You have an XS400 DOHC. With an individual carb per cylinder. And for what it is worth, it doesn't matter what the crank phasing is on your engine, it won't have any effect on carb jetting. Period. There is nothing connecting the intake tracts of the cylinders, so they operate individually.

And your decision to follow the advice that has been previously given is a wise one. ;)

But wait! What if the polarizing effect of the tachyon array causes a low pressure system between the carbuncle and the rotator assembly! That would cause the lifter wrist pins to have greater drag over the drive shaft, and explain the different sized jetting!

Jeez BW!

Way to ignore the grapple grommets on the underside of the seat. I expected you of all people to recognize their ability to eliminate the laminar airflow around the lifter wrist pins!

:wink2:

Back