xs 400/sr 500 frame simalarites

OleDoc

FREEBIRDS MC Central NY
Reaction score
i am new to this site and am glad to find a site that pertains to my first motercycle love.I am making my 79 xs400 into a cafe racer and noticed a lot of options for the sr500 and saw the frames looked the same.I was wondering if anyone knows if they share the same frame as they share a lot of other components.This would save me a lot of fab work as i have found a cool seat that West Eagle sells.They also sell a cool fender eliminator that mounts a taillight and blinkers on the mounts for the factory taillights.I do not want to cut the frame if i don't have to.Thank you for any input you may have

the SR is an oil-in-frame design, so i would hazard that it won't fit without mods. having said that, the oil in frame could be a petrol tank!!

When it comes to seats fitting, it depends on the dsign of the seat as the SR has a narrower frame at the rear shocks and some of the SR seats need a sub frame to fit.

Thanks guys.I was thinking of a way to mount a cafe seat the easy way without any mods.But great bikes are not easy to make, otherwise everyone would be doing it.I will probally cut the mount for the inner fender and make a mount for a tail from a gs400 and make a seat out of glass and cover it with some foam and cover it.

Back