XS in the (Welsh) mountains

ivor

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Last weekend I took the XS up to the Dragon rally. It's a famous rally held since 1962 on what is traditionally the coldest weekend of the year, in the mountains and hills of North Wales.
I thought I was well prepared, checking the bike over the whole of the preceding week, and also making sure I had plenty of warm clothing and a sleeping bag that was good for sub-zero temperatures (C that is !).
For me, the trip was 480 miles all in, and I set off at 6.30 am on Saturday morning. Naturally I only got 5 miles up the road when the clutch cable went slack ! And of course, I had packed all my tools under the seat, which necessitated removing all my carefully packed camping gear. :banghead:
It turned out the nipple at the bottom end had pulled out of the actuating arm, so I had to remove the sprocket cover, put the cable back in, squeeze the cable holder back together, and tie a couple of cable ties around the arm to stop it opening up again.
Anyway, I made the rally ok, got there around 2.30pm, (don't forget, mine's a 250 not a 400). I was greeted by the sight of a quagmire of a field, with a mountain on each side, and a raging torrent of a river running alongside. Not to mention probably three times more tents camped there, than space would safely allow ... :laugh:
Eventually I found a spot on a slope, and set up the tent. As is usual at these things, I ended meeting loads of great guys, all strangers, but with a similar bond, (lunacy, I think:laugh:), and had a good time, a few beers, and listened to the bands playing in the marquee that evening.
Oh, and I also bumped into a guy called Sumo, who is well known on the UK Britchopper forum, for the double engined Panther he is building, with a view to running it at Bonneville next year!!
Sunday morning it was up and pack, say farewells, and ride home. It pissed with rain the whole way back, took me around 7 hours, feet were immersed in water the entire journey, (note to self: new boots for next winter), and the bike developed a habit of not running below 3K on the revcounter. That was ok if I revved her at junctions, but on a couple of occasions she would stall, or I'd stop for petrol, and would be a complete git to start again.I think I have some muck in the pilot system, (I had the tap apart last week, and I think some stray bits have found there way into the carbs).
Anyway, here's a pic, I've spared you the sight of my ugly mug:laugh:

Attachments

• P2120002.jpg
    P2120002.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 338
  • P2120005.jpg
    P2120005.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 323
Great story man! My and I were thinking about packing stuff on our bikes and riding to Sturgis this year....probably won't make it, but it sure would be fun. Thanks for sharing.

I don't know about well done, more like half baked :laugh:

You see in the second picture the line of trees just behind the tents? That was the river, it was already a raging torrent, and the previous week there had been serious flooding, Saturday night was forecast heavy rain, and STILL guys were pitching their tents next to it :laugh::laugh:
Me, I picked a spot on a slope, it was dry enough, but I kept sliding down in my sleeping bag all night :D

i was in cub scouts and boy scouts till about seventh grade or so. but we had a tendency to have a lot of meetings and paperwork as opposed to camping. so i dipped

I was in for awhile when I was younger. The only thing I remember was building a totem pole and of course, the pine wood derby cars! I loved building those cars!!

i do Bogey racing (like billy carts), hovercraft i did try motorbike maintenance but the buggers just hit the poor bike with a hammer to strip it down:yikes: never heard of spanners!
pioneering, hiking, adventure camps, survival camps etc etc.

hoping to try and go the the isle of man during the manx GP this year for our summer camp :thumbsup:

i do Bogey racing (like billy carts), hovercraft i did try motorbike maintenance but the buggers just hit the poor bike with a hammer to strip it down:yikes: never heard of spanners!
pioneering, hiking, adventure camps, survival camps etc etc.

hoping to try and go the the isle of man during the manx GP this year for our summer camp :thumbsup:
Man, if my troop leader was as cool as you, I may have stayed in the scouts. lol That's pretty neat Drewps!

agreed. we always did stuff like fishing and auto maintence(changing a tire and your oil) and first aid. we learned them at the meetings and never went out and did them. unless it was on a camping trip for the weekend. which was like 1-2 every 2 months.
my troop sucked. lol

Love the hijack ...... :laugh:

My son is 9 and is going on his annual pack holiday to North Yorkshire in April for a week, (not much better than the Welsh hills in February), Akela makes 'em run up a steep hill next to the hut before breakfast every morning ..... :D

Drewpy, sounds like a great troop you got going there ... :thumbsup:

Hey, on other forums I'm one of the worst culprits, that's fine, you carry on ... :thumbsup:

Cheers to you for taking a trip like that. I always get a kick out of guys that told me I couldn't take my 400 on highway trips, etc. Complaints about the bike being underpowered, too light and such. I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. I rode a friends BMW touring bike about a year ago, stopped at a stop sign, lost balance and laid it down (gently). No damage, but about had a heart attack getting it back up. I'll take something I can manage anyday.

Ha, nice one !

Yes, I've always enjoyed smaller bikes, though I did have a 750 Trident when I was 19, that was a bit of a lump.
At the Dragon, quite a lot of the rallyists make a point of turning up on something unsuitable, I lost count of the number of Honda super cubs there .... :laugh:

Back