XS wont start after cafe build

riotten22

Nick Cook
Reaction score
Hey guys, Got my intake installed and tried to fire the bike up. It will not start. Have spark on right cylinder and weak spark on the left cylinder (already replaced coils) and they check out fine on ohm test. If i shoot some starting fluid in the "single carb" it will back fire out the right exhaust pipe but not even a real attempt to run just an occasional extremely loud bang out of the open pipe. Should i start with the CDI box next ? Is there a way to test the cdi box ? I am sure having the one carb with intake isnt helping the starting process but I would assume a little starting fluid should get it to kick off. Would header pipes cause starting problems with no back pressure ?

I'm inclined to think it's something to do with the single carb setup. Are you getting fuel to the cylinders? You're using a stock carb correct? What are the carb settings?

Hope you can get it running, really dig your build, lots of innovative touches.

I'm inclined to think it's something to do with the single carb setup. Are you getting fuel to the cylinders? You're using a stock carb correct? What are the carb settings?

Hope you can get it running, really dig your build, lots of innovative touches.

Getting that occasional back fire out of the right cylinder just not enough to get it started so I assumed it was getting fuel probably just not enough? Should I try some fuel down the cylinders ?

anyone have any advice on what NGK spark plug wire ends to use ? NGK has a ton of 5k ohm ones anyone have an actual NGK part # on ones they have used?

Well after all this dinkin around ya know what my problem was ? The friggin coil connectors were switched up... So is left / right different on a bike than a car ? Manual and another forum member said the gray wire connector should go left and orange righ and thats what I had. Swapped them around and it fired up instantly.

well the wiring diagram says it goes to the left. I currently have the gray wire going to the right and my bike is running..... If it wont start swap them around :)

Back