xs400...which rebel shocks to buy??

justanotherguy

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site.
I've seen a couple of people use rebel shocks on the xs400 and xs650.

Is there a specific model to look for?
Or are all years compatible with the xs?

I'm really trying to buy the right product the first time... :thumbsup:

the rebel shocks that people use to lower the back end are 10.5" eye to eye.. last i remember they were pretty pricey sometimes on ebay.

i used suzuki savage ls 650 shocks, 10.5" and they fit onto the stock mounts. i only had to make a shim on the bottom mounts. got them for $15 used

I pm'd rmal since he got rebel shocks to fit the xs400.
Only thing is they fit upside down...is there anything bad about that?

i used suzuki savage ls 650 shocks, 10.5" and they fit onto the stock mounts. i only had to make a shim on the bottom mounts. got them for $15 used

Do you have any pics to explain what a shim is? And what you used?

the hole on the shock was too big for the bottom mount so i shimmed with with sheet metal

picture.php

I'm not sure if all models of the rebel will work, but I have a few sets of 250 rebel shocks if you would be interested... I will let them go on the cheap. PM me if you're interested.

I just got rebel 250 shocks off Ebay. They fit my '82 heritage - upside down. I might be able to just switch out the rubber bushings to mount them the proper way.

The 250 shocks are 10.5" eye to eye. The stock was 13.25 I think, so there's a significant ride height change.
The springs are WICKED stiff too.
I'll have to dial back the preload a bit - they're topped out even with me sitting on the bike.

The rebel shocks I got off ebay worked great for me. I switched the bottom rubber bushings from the old xs shocks to the bottom of the new rebels. I reused the steel sleeve I took out of the bottom of the rebel shocks for the top mount.

Yeah, I just flipped the rubber bushings from bottom to top. Everything fit perfectly.
It's a little oversprung for me, and I'm 220. I bet the springs will break in after a while.

New guy here, I am looking to lower my new xs400. Is there any softer shocks that I can use, as I am only 160lbs. Also, is there any others that lower it a little more?

Back