XS400SJ - Slow Project

Yep, definitely some rust on this bike.
Under fender paint:
20160311_173321.jpg
20160311_173318.jpg

Some of it is pitted too deep to wire-wheel out:
20160313_212250.jpg

Will give the fuel tank the same treatment after/if I pay someone to pop the dents out.
Then I'm thinking clear powdercoat on the fenders and tank.

Also fully disassembled the carbs and motor top-end. Piston ring end-gap is at .4mm for both, right at the top of the specced range.
Will probably get a friend with a bore gauge to check the cylinders before I replace anything.

I did not do a compression test on the motor before tearing it apart. Probably should have but there was some debris visible on top of the pistons and I didn't want to risk scraping up the insides.

Small setback: took the tank to a shop that specializes in motorcycle dent repair and the dents are too deep/sharp to fix easily or economically.

Gave up on the dent repair for now.

Motor is mostly back together.
Bought an AlloyBoltz kit for it. Looks pretty good.

Tested stator and field coil before reinstalling them.
Stator tests well but I might redo the leads anyways.

The field coil tests consistently at 3ohms, not the specced value. Took off the external wires and exposed the actual wound magnet wire leads.
Tested the same.

Might rewind it myself. Dead easy compared to the stator.

It was a bit more than I'd hoped to spend. Limited supply and high demand drives prices up around here.

as long as it was only a little more .
well make sure you keep us posted with pics i wanna see that thing when your done becouse looks like ur doing a good job restoring her

Mostly been working on the XS360. It's insured but not quite on the road. Swapped out the brake master cylinder but haven't bled the line yet. Can't decide if it's running too lean or too rich. Maybe both.

As for the 400. I unwound the field coil today.
471 wraps of what appears to be 21 gauge wire.
264 feet
Will track down some 21 gauge magnet wire and rewind.

Other progress so far:
Fork tubes rebuilt
Rear suspension disassembled, painted (red springs), and reassembled without the reflector section.
Carbs totally cleaned. New jets installed. Ready for reassembly.
Ignition switch reconditioned
Swingarm disassembled, need to order the inner swingarm bushing and install the bronze bushes if the bushes fit together
Rear drum brake inspected disassembled. Brake pad have totally come off the shoes. Will order a new set.
Broke a valve guide and had to replace it so I had both exhaust guides done and all four valves cut.
Installed new old stock pistons with new steel gas nitrided rings. Haven't measured compression yet but it's much tougher to turn with the plugs in and valves shut....
Set the valve clearances.

Still lots to do though.
Rewire stator.
Rewind field coil.
Reassemble carbs.
Order new tires
Rebuild front brake caliper
And much more...

Back