XS500 to XS400

MrYeats

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I am building an 81 xs400 bob and needed carburetors so I went to Ebay and got a nice pair of Mikunis from an XS500,hoping they would fit,being the 500 is DOHC, the chances were slim,but for $99 shipped I took a shot.
Close but no cigar, though it is close enough that with a little effort it will go.
The 500's set just about 3/4" closer than the 400 so I had to loosen the choke rod screws and readjust that, no problem,
I did have to remove the metal that holds the carbs together and fashion a piece that will allow them to be "tied" back together.
Now that leaves a gap in the throttle linkage between the two carbs. I have a thought in mind to make a small extension to fit between the two.
It looks like there will not be a problem after this is done.
Fingers crossed!

same what I had to get the dohc 400 carbs to fit the sohc.

swapped the bars over from some old carbs and welded an extension for the butterfly openings where I can just about make balance adjustments

on this one, instead of welding. I drilled a tiny hole in the left carb extension and a small hole in a small piece of precut sheet metal stiff enough for the job. I then ran a self tapping screw to connect that to the left side then slid it into the right side adjuster screw. works the butterflies just dandy. Now I find that I have a stuck choke on the right carb. Time to get into that.

Back