What did you do with your XS today?

output seal went yesterday, spewed oil all over me via the chain rotation, spewed oil on the rear tyre, spewed oil on joe public I'm a riding Exxon Valdez disaster!

output seal
Drewpy, can you put a photo of that? I am curious if that is what is going on with mine. I know the cereal box gasket under the yamaha plate might not be helping the best, but the fresh looking oil, Is that the output seal? Can I fix it with Lucas stopleak? good news the pitted clutchrod, and seal seam to be working just fine!!!!! Red dust Dave has thought it was rust from the chain, (I have been better at oiling since Daves remarks)

full

Otherwise I have done the LED upgrade, I have a ton of pics, I will add to the successful LED with autocancel thread, when I get all the photos up here, (not public yet).

And I have put up a midi windshield, That is 30 years old. Mental note, The rubber grommets have turned to stone.:doh: I am off to a local store to see if they have updated rubbers :laugh:
Midi Windshield ABA-3Y606-00-00
SR250 G/H/TH
XS/400 G/SG/H/SH

Attachments

• Midi Windshield XS400 G to SH.pdf
    169.3 KB · Views: 306
output seal is behind the front sprocket.
its cheap to replace and the same seals are used on fj, fz 600 as well as rz350 etc etc

part # 93102-35109-00

Found out today riding side by side with a buddy that my bike reads about 9 to 10 mph fast when we're at a good clip (70-75). The faster i get, the farther off it is. Not a huge deal but enough to bug me a bit. Easy fix out there??

Easy fix out there??

What kind of GPS do you have? Do you have the capability to mount it in such a way you can not text and chat on it, and only use it for GPS? I am willing to bet your front tire has been changed out from OEM. so the right choice is to see if you can find a speed-o meter to match? or is it the wheel thingy for the speedometer. Good luck!

Thanks Drewpy, It seems to be less than 10 USD, and fairly simply and straight forward to do.

Last edited:
Found out today riding side by side with a buddy that my bike reads about 9 to 10 mph fast when we're at a good clip (70-75). The faster i get, the farther off it is. Not a huge deal but enough to bug me a bit. Easy fix out there??

if it's not your cable being in need of some lubrication, or it not being attached well, I'd say there is no 'easy fix'. But yea GPS is nice, or just get to know how far off it is riding next to a buddy, and do the math while riding :) :thumbsup:

yesterday:

Put on the new rear fender cover and passenger handles (Seca stuff)
took off the cover and spray painted it
Put on a new clutch lever
re-attached my speedometer cable (it was crooked at the bottom, weird?) and lubed it
lubed the chain
put the handlebars up again (they were rotated by the road assistance guy due to the hauling on the back of a truck when I stalled)

Up for today:
replacing fuel line
replacing vacuum line
putting on a new inline fuel filter (other was full after 3 months :( )
cleaning the tank so that doesn't happen again
maybe putting on a new air filter

whoever is still riding around without having cleaned your tank, DO IT.

man what a bunch of crap came out of mine.. :wtf:
that it lasted 3 months on one inline fuel filter is a miracle!

Now waiting for the phosphoric acid to do its job :)

I have used Cycle tank sealants, both Kreem, and POR-15. Kreem failed to my forgetfullness of forgetting to open the gas cap breather hole. POR-15 has been more recommended, IMHO both are fine products as long as you use them per manufacture recommended usages. I was able to find local products via google, and their homepage
http://www.advanced-rust-protection...een=PROD&Product_Code=CTRK&Category_Code=Kits
http://www.kreem.com/distributors.html
my 5 minutes of google-ing POR-15 had specific info, Kreem had general info, both of them is everywhere, amazon, ebay, all the cycleshops and the like. I had watched many videos on youtube as well for tank prep, you may be at need for the Dryer treatment ;)

Drewpy, can you put a photo of that? I am curious if that is what is going on with mine. I know the cereal box gasket under the yamaha plate might not be helping the best, but the fresh looking oil, Is that the output seal? Can I fix it with Lucas stopleak? good news the pitted clutchrod, and seal seam to be working just fine!!!!! Red dust Dave has thought it was rust from the chain, (I have been better at oiling since Daves remarks)

full

Looks like your chain has rusted a lot:eek: I stopped using non-plated( I use nickel)chains about 4 years ago. They cost more but never do this and you won't Get links sticking together.:thumbsup:

Looks like your chain has rusted a lot I stopped using non-plated
Hmmm, So that's why I got it soooo inexpensive off of eBay, (or amazon) Mental note made Thanks. I still think the rust is sticking to oil being released from the output seal? Previous oil leak was definitively coming from the clutchrod seal, this one is much more diffused.

previous to fixing the clutch rod seal, I didn't have to worry about oiling the chain :laugh:

There was a huge build up of sludge on the clutchrod base, next to that seal. I am ordering one seal today, and putting the chain for my christmas wish list.

Hmmm, So that's why I got it soooo inexpensive off of eBay, (or amazon) Mental note made Thanks. I still think the rust is sticking to oil being released from the output seal? Previous oil leak was definitively coming from the clutchrod seal, this one is much more diffused.

previous to fixing the clutch rod seal, I didn't have to worry about oiling the chain :laugh:

There was a huge build up of sludge on the clutchrod base, next to that seal. I am ordering one seal today, and putting the chain for my christmas wish list.

I'd be replacing that chain sooner than Christmas. With that much rust coming off it, the pins and rollers are probably shot.

Have you considered that your chain will throw off it's lube as it is spun around that little sprocket and changes direction by about 170 degrees? If you lube your chain, there will ALWAYS be oil in that area. Replace the seals again if it makes you feel good, but I'll wager that it won't change anything... :doh:

Back