What did you do with your XS today?

Changed main jets in 20 minutes from start to finish! :laugh: Pod filters make it so easy to get the carbs off the bike! :thumbsup: But then again, I wouldn't have been changing jets if I had the stock airbox... :doh:

Chased my Son around the field with the cafe lots of fun:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 20130721_184506.jpg
    20130721_184506.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 266
So I went to reclear coati my tank I droped the sob and scratched the sht out of it in a few spots.So I sand it down and repainted and finaly got the metallic color blue color I have been trying to get all along.I reclear coated it and looks nice.Still not totally satisfied though.I swear this gas tank hates me,been trying for several months to get it right.Need to get me a new spray gun for the air compressor.

:laugh: Willem, you forgot the youtube tank cleaning. How many of those options will your wife let you do???

Great photo!!!

Okay, Chain will move up to the Labor day holiday then, Sorry santa. The oil deposits was going on long before I started oiling my chain, infact after posting this photo, was the first time I oiled the chain. Courtesy of 16VGTIDave, (Thank you) The oil deposit build up does appear to be slung up from the drive sprocket, onto the base of the clutchrod, (from behind the sprocket), The chain was purchased last year, I drove the bike from Aug to end of bike season, and then as soon as we were able to drive it this year, The chain only has about 5 months of actual drive time on it, (Minnesota/Wisconsin Snow season November to May 2013:bike:)

Rode around a little bit with a co worker before we went to work. I've put on over 6000 miles on the 400 after the winter rebuild and its running strong nock on wood.

Posted via Mobile

Last night I revisited those Nasty Crappy carbs. I found another set off an XS 360 that will work. The guy I got them from said they were Ultrasonic cleaned and rebuilt from a running modified bike. Had them on a while ago with no luck. Took them apart found 1 float stuck and a few missing parts. Is there supposed to be a copper washer under the main jet? I have 1 under 1 main the other jet was pulled up with the needle. Also I have missing springs & O rings under the idle needles. These carbs are a bit different than the originals. Screw in seats Adjustable idle needles. The bodies are missing bosses for the top bracket and the idle adjuster is in a different place. Any thought's Ideas Advise what jet's do I use? Can I take the jets from the other carbs? (crypes where's my single carb conversion manifold)

The 360 carbs don't use o-rings under the mix screws and there should not be and washers under the main jets. They do use o-rings on the needle jets I would replace them. Do you have the metal intake boot covers? These carbs are heavier than the others and need the extra bracing. They also use a different H-pipe for the air filters.

Attachments

• DSC02035.jpg
    DSC02035.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC02036.jpg
    DSC02036.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC02037.jpg
    DSC02037.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC02033.jpg
    DSC02033.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 238
The 360 carbs don't use o-rings under the mix screws and there should not be and washers under the main jets. They do use o-rings on the needle jets I would replace them. Do you have the metal intake boot covers? These carbs are heavier than the others and need the extra bracing. They also use a different H-pipe for the air filters.

The carbs you show look a bit different with the idle jets on the side. Mine are on the top. Not the easiest to get to. I didn't get the metal boot supports you talk about but I am looking into a set of new holders. The carbs come back off this morning and completely taken apart to soak. Going to work on making 2 good carbs from 4 marginal ones. Luck would be the least of my needs. Sounds like more of a Devine guidance type of thing. :banghead:

Sounds like you have the 77-79 xs400 ones not the 76-77 xs360's like I show in the pics.

rode it out with my buddy on the back (I'm 6'4'' hes even taller, must have looked funny) for an hour and a half to get him his new old '83 Honda CB750F. Nice bike, pretty fun and feels much more stable at high speeds, but can never beat my xs400 in nimbleness and fun factor :)

Had some crazy rain for a few minutes on the highway, felt like hail at those speeds :wtf: but all in all a nice ride and happy he has a bike so we can go for rides together :thumbsup:

rode it out with my buddy on the back (I'm 6'4'' hes even taller, must have looked funny) for an hour and a half to get him his new old '83 Honda CB750F. Nice bike, pretty fun and feels much more stable at high speeds, but can never beat my xs400 in nimbleness and fun factor :)

Had some crazy rain for a few minutes on the highway, felt like hail at those speeds :wtf: but all in all a nice ride and happy he has a bike so we can go for rides together :thumbsup:
You were not able to take a picture by any chance, yes?

Solved the leaky petcock, discovered that the led lights don't auto cancel, Up-my idle screw to 2.5. Waiting for a new clutch cable, and output shaft seal, If I dont see it by saturday, I wont get it till next tuesday.

priced a new DID50 chain, about 40bucks from partzilla.

Other than being easier to adjust what is the advantage of using the 360 carbs on xs400?

Waiting for a new clutch cable, and output shaft seal, If I don't see

Okay Clutch cable showed up today, and soo did the seal. The clutch cable has been a casualty of my short term memory. I thought I brought it out and feed the new one though the same space. Now I am going to go though all the pics, on here to make sure I didn't jack it up too bad.

Speaking of Jack, the my output seal got jacked up while putting it in. apparently I need to round the bottom of the seal better. :banghead:

Attachments

• DSCF0140.jpg
    DSCF0140.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF0139.jpg
    DSCF0139.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 236
Okay Clutch cable showed up today, and soo did the seal. The clutch cable has been a casualty of my short term memory. I thought I brought it out and feed the new one though the same space. Now I am going to go though all the pics, on here to make sure I didn't jack it up too bad.

Speaking of Jack, the my output seal got jacked up while putting it in. apparently I need to round the bottom of the seal better. :banghead:

The hardest part of setting a seal is to get it square in the bore as you drive it home. You should be ok if you smear some good sillycone around the od. Make sure you get it packed in right around the chamfer in the seal bore. Also may want to pick that rubber away so you can have better access to the chamfer. I've seen worse from the factory on some small engines with many hours of leak free operation. :banghead::doh:

Sorry, to report, no luck here, Its jacked up, It is visably dripping at every stop, the Top oil fill line to the way below the lower one, on only 30 miles of driving. I will have to replace it. Locally its only 15. Internet resources want 9.99 or so, plus s/h, So I am ordering locally, supporting my shop! Mondus, ordered a new one.
www.mondusmotorsports.com
Thanks

Successes the PETCOCK! I can unplug it, and not have fuel dripping over everything!!!! now to get inthere to take a photo, so that you all know what I did do!

Back