What did you do with your XS today?

Hishman Isnt that Normal??? I just got mine to run yesterday after fighting these crappy carbs off & on starting in about april. The frustration would hit me and I'd let it sit & drive my little bike. Now that I had it running and drove it about a mile last night I thought I'd finish putting it back together. Started the first spin so feeling confident I reinstalled all of the lights and rechecked the wiring. Feeling proud of my accomplishment I went to start it and go for another little spin. CRAPPY thing is down to a thumper again. Runs on 1 hole pretty good but still just 1 friggen hole. Most likely preachin to the choir but get your self a gunk bucket (gallon bucket with carb cleaner & a small basket). And Proceed to poke prod blow scrub suck and a few other unnatural acts to get those carbs clean. One thing I did find out is those pilot jets seem to have been neglected on my carbs. It was almost like epoxy stuck in them. Good luck :doh::banghead::bike:

Check for air leaks, I had taped up my carb boots with electrical tape. Then I found vinyl tape that can handle 500 degrees heat, 10 feet for about $7 bucks. I fell in love with tape! I always forget to put the petcock vacuum hose onto the one boot nipple. Cause backfiring due to major air leak.

Otherwise, I have gotten that output seal, again.

Yep that will be my first look next week. My boots are in rough but serviceable condition but I did try to fill them with copper sillycone when I had them off. I might still have goop in the one carb too. On another thread recently there was a spark issue where I think you suggested to reset the plug wires and boots to get a better connection. Think I'll do that as well. Any thought on using new silicone wires? with a carbon conductor? I have a set from a car project long ago that are just looking for a home. On a personal note. Now that I've red a few things about your Marines history. THANK YOU!!! So many don't seem to appreciate the Military. Now to sleep got called for overtime tomorrow starting at 5:00 Gotta get up before God & small animals to get there. Wish there was a Smiley with a Salute!!!:bike:

Took off the chain and gave it a good cleaning in the parts washer before letting it soak in the ultrasonic cleaner for a few hours. Blew off all the solvent and now have it back in the ultrasonic cleaner with synthetic oil to give it a good lubing.

Took apart the speedo to get it un-stuck and ordered a new speedo cable. Using a drill right now to get the odometer up to the correct reading. It is going to take a while to put 438km on it when the drill can only turn 1300 RPM which equates to 60 kph... :(

Alrighty, late night at work but here are some pictures of the spacers and brackets from my bike:
First is the finished spacer. Second is the spacer installed. Third is a closer picture of the caliper bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_20130513_180041.jpg
    IMG_20130513_180041.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20130609_143543_503.jpg
    IMG_20130609_143543_503.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20130609_143538_252.jpg
    IMG_20130609_143538_252.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 217
I went for a last ride before I leave for vacation tomorrow.. Going by car, from the Netherlands through Germany, Austria, Slovenia to Croatia. Maybe next year I'll go by XS400..?

see you all in a week or two :)

aaron we wanna see! pics!

Pics I didnt take any before or after<So there would be nothing to compare the after from the before.To me its nothing to be all that impressed about cause I didnt get it to shine like chrome.I have to say it does shine and looks much better than the dull aluminum it once looked like.:)

Have a safe trip Willem.

Well I tackled the two of the most common xs400 problems last night. Headlight upgrade and the stupid vacuum petcock.

After looking at my stock headlight i realized that the lamp is metal back, and the bulb was just held in by some tabs. After removing the original bulb, I just had to trim the bulb bracket to accept a new H4 bulb. Works and looks awesome now!

As for my petcock, I was missing that all important plastic spacer for the back and reallly didn't want to mess with a vacuum setup anymore. So it was time to modify...
I plugged all the vacuum ports with some Quicksteel, Ground a new channel in the lever for the fuel to travel a new route. I now have a operational manual petcock with OFF/ON/RES.

If the demand is there I can do a write up on both of these mods.:thumbsup:

Relied on the 750 for a couple hundred mile trip. Highway and Minneapolis traffic. Was doing very well until I heard a ping and my clutch went limp. Had to limp it like ten miles with no clutch lol

Hope you got some AC in your car, tomorrow will be really hot here in Germany.

nope, it was like riding in a bathtub of pure sweat. Not so nice, temps in the 90's F (35+ C) and being in the car all day

It's nice here though, in Slovenia now and wish I took the XS... man how good it would be to ride around here through the mountains.

Thanks guys :)

This ethanol free premium,Like the old premium back in the day we used to be able to get at the gas stations.I bought mine from a local marina @$4.75 x 4 gallons.

I also ordered high torgue baffles and did some polishing on my lower forks which pitted pretty bad.
So alot of acomplishment done today since I finaly had the time.

Back