Would this airbox boot fit on my bike?

Liger

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, when I got my bike the PO didnt have any air filters on it nor did he have any of the stock setup he tore off the bike. So now Im trying to look at pics of your guys different bikes to see what would work on mine. While searching I found 2 different looking boots. I noticed the only real difference was where the cross flow piece that connects to the crankcase was mounted. I have a 1980 XS400 Special II and am wondering if it really matters which one to get or not? Since I never saw the original I am kind of at a loss here. Heres a pic of one that I found, would this be ok for mine?

Attachments

• carb boot.jpg
    carb boot.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 268
Yup I know that, Im still learning exact part names and terminology. I thought I had it right with my thread title as an airbox boot or whatever. I need an air filter setup on my bike and was inspired by a pic of your one bike that had the stock boot with the pods mounted on the end. Im looking to put something like that on my bike but need to know if that boot in the pic will work or if I need the other style?

Look in the parts listings at a place like boats.net they have a parts listing that covers your bike. Find the carb/air intake pics. it will show you what you need and the order they go in.
Leo

Its the breather hose that connects to the engine.

Attachments

• DSC01591.jpg
    DSC01591.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 281
If you are using the stock "H" tubes I would use it. If your not and just going to put pods on the carbs the I would use a breather filter on there. It is good to hook it up as it was intended because it helps keep the extra blow by gasses and pressures out of the trans.

Attachments

• DSC01592.jpg
    DSC01592.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 268
Pods or sock[uni] filters are a good alternative,but may necessitate a re-jetting[one # richer]. The vent could be handled like the picture shows. It just vents blow-by gasses away from the motor and tranny. You can find them on ebay from time to time,as do the airboxes. lha

One thing you can do is get a power brake check valve. At Advanced auto it's right on the rack with the HELP! stuff. Itemnumber 80190
This is a one way valve that will let pressure inside the engine escape and not let any back in. This creates a small vacumm inside the engine. In theroy it will minimze leaks and let the valves seal better to improve performance.
I use them on my XS650's. The work well. I use a short hose between the engine breather and valve, then a longer hose from the valve to below the engine.
Leo

Back