How to get carbs back on?

Decker23

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So, any advice on reinstalling carbs?

It's a '82 XS400 Maxim. It's the usual scenario (fiasco?) that I can't slide the air filter housing back more than 1/8" because it's backed up against the rear fender and the unishock, and the carbs don't have clearance to fit in.

I found a video advising me to push the boots connecting the air filter housing to the carb, back into the housing. This does make sufficient room, though it's then impossible to get them back out again to fasten onto the carbs.

Any advice on this one?

Addendum: I do notice that one of the boots is significantly harder than the other. Maybe there's a minimum amount of flexibility in order for things to go back together smoothly?

Last edited:
So, any advice on reinstalling carbs?

It's a '82 XS400 Maxim. It's the usual scenario (fiasco?) that I can't slide the air filter housing back more than 1/8" because it's backed up against the rear fender and the unishock, and the carbs don't have clearance to fit in.

I found a video advising me to push the boots connecting the air filter housing to the carb, back into the housing. This does make sufficient room, though it's then impossible to get them back out again to fasten onto the carbs.

Any advice on this one?

Addendum: I do notice that one of the boots is significantly harder than the other. Maybe there's a minimum amount of flexibility in order for things to go back together smoothly?

Hey Man...

On my 82 xs400

I'm going fro memory here so...

Try to leave the boot's on the airbox side in place cus it's virtually impossible to move them forward once the carb's are installed on the engine side

Make sure you remove the 2 bolt's under the tank that I believe hold the air box in place and obviously the 2 bolt's on either side that hold the fender to the frame around the air box. Make sure that the clap's for the boot's are loose but not but not un-done

I did had my battery out, wiring harness under the seat loose, electronic's under the left side panel loose etc and was able to move everything back to allow at least an 1-1/2 clearance on the air box side to get the carb's back in.

I then sprayed WD40 inside the boot's and around both end's of the carb's and used the handle of a hammer with a rubber grip to GENTLEY level the carb's into the engine side then tightened claps.

Then gently work the air box boot's on (I used chopsticks to try and avoid ripping boot's) the work air box forward, etc.

Good luck

Thanks so much. The key was what you said "obviously" -- undoing the fender bolts. I wasn't seeing it right, thought the shock was in the way. But with the fender loosened, there's an extra inch of space, plenty of maneuvering room now.

Thanks so much for the tip. I do appreciate it.

Push them into the manifolds,start from the bottom at an angle getting them started.as you start to get them in straighten the angle of how you have the carbs and then it give it hard push.

Yeah, going into the manifolds and THEN bringing the filter housing forward, was the way to go. Knowing about the fender bolts, made all the difference in the world: impossible if you don't, simple if you do.

Back