Turn signals won't blink

mpark620

mpark620
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is my first post, so we'll see how this goes :) Just been working on my 1982 yamaha xs 400 after a short hiatus. At the moment, I've been trying to change my signal switch device. Just the other day, both my front and rear lights were blinking just fine. But after I pressed the horn button (which doesn't even work) the signal lights just stay solid and doesn't blink. Not sure, if pressing the button had to do anything with it, but maybe it's a grounded or corroded wire :shrug: ? If anybody has any idea, this would be so helpful! Thanks!

Mikey

My guess would be corrosion in the signal switch housing. I had some of that in there few weeks back which made my horn stop working. It's pretty easy to open actually, just go for it. Mine was full of rust before it stopped working, so problems are probably pretty easy to spot.

Another cause could be that one of the bulbs is going bad, the relay needs a certain load to function and if a light is bad, it'll pull less load.

If you were doing this without the engine running your battery voltage is low. It may have been enough but when you tried the horn it drew the voltage down enough so the flashers won't flash. They draw about 57 watts of power. Your high beam won't draw that much. This needs a fully charged battery and/or the bike running to flash.
Leo

i bought new turns for mine i turned into a bobber and i only hooked up my rears for now and its doing the same thing just a solid light no flashing. i wasnt even sure if they were supposed to flash i bought the bike and ripped everything off it the same day.

i bought new turns for mine i turned into a bobber and i only hooked up my rears for now and its doing the same thing just a solid light no flashing. i wasnt even sure if they were supposed to flash i bought the bike and ripped everything off it the same day.

LEDs or standard bulbs?

I think you need to have both front and back hooked up to create the circuit for the flasher to work.

The stock flasher only works with the load of two 27 watt bulbs and the 3 watt indicator bulb.
Most after market lights use 23 watt bulbs. Running just the rear does the same thing. Light but no flash.
Get a two prong flasher that is not load sensitive.
If you use LED get an LED flasher.
Leo

The stock flasher only works with the load of two 27 watt bulbs and the 3 watt indicator bulb.
Most after market lights use 23 watt bulbs. Running just the rear does the same thing. Light but no flash.
Get a two prong flasher that is not load sensitive.
If you use LED get an LED flasher.
Leo

What he said. Yamaha uses the handlebar switch to complete the circuit and provide the ground on most older bikes. Sometimes the poor connection does you in, but usually it is the bulbs, or someone decided they only need one set, such as front or rear. Must have both bulbs functioning to make stock setup flash.

The handle bar switch does not provide ground. It just send the power to the left or right turns. The lights ground after the bulb.
Power flow is power to the flasher, from the flasher to the switch, from the switch to the bulbs, bulbs to ground.
Leo

Back