Remounting the rear turn signals

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have a problem with my rear turn signals falling out of the sockets since the groment that holds them in place are deteriorated.Can I use some large flat washers to hold them place or will the constant jarring of a solid mount break the filiments of the bulbs?
Also another idea would be to switch to leds.How difficult and what would be the cost to switch over?
Thanks.

Attachments

• $T2eC16R,!y8E9s2fjKweBRSwBZFfd!~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16R,!y8E9s2fjKweBRSwBZFfd!~~60_12.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 301
Since my bikes frame is all stock if I were to mount them some where else where would that be?I would have to fab something to connect to the frame as a bracket.

You can put them where ever you want it's your bike. It's very easy to do:)

I've seen the rubber for sale at a few bike parts places on the net, I think they were about $6 a piece. Might be the cheapest and easiest way to go, if they have them in stock.

I was having the same issue so I mounted my new smaller blinkers using large flat washers. I bought washers that were the same diameter as the entire rubber bushing but had a very small hole in them. I bought them at my local sears. They were called "fender washers".

I used 1 on the outside of the bushing and 1 on the inside as to allow the rubber bushing to still absorb some of the vibration. It actually worked out brilliantly.

I can take photos for you tomorrow if you want

Yesterday I decided to shorten the stems of the blinkers,I could not stand how they stook out so far.I ended up having to glue the gromets together so that I can resuse them.I also bought flat washers that were the same size as the sockets.Ran out of time to work on them yesterday so I`ll be going back at it today.
Njcafe some pics of what you got would be helpful also.
Thanks.

So I got this project finished today.As mentioned I shortened the stems and tapped the holes so that the mounting bolts could go back in.I used spacers and a couple of larger flat washers to hold them in place over the gromets.So now instead of sticking out a half a foot they only stick out about 3 inches.Looks alot better and only cost me 45 cents in washer cost.

Here are the pics of the fenders and the small aftermarket blinkers.

They worked perfect, size wise, matching up against the old rubber bushing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 342
Looks good did those mount in the priginal sockets on the frame?I`ll take a pic of how mine are here in a little while.I want to try and do the same on the front ones also.

thanks ny84. they look like to about 1 1/4' with a 5/16" center hole. do you know if they come in black? for now it sounds and looks like a good fix.thanks again.

I ended up shorten both rear and front stems,I used rubber cement to glue the grommet back together and then large flat washers to hold them in place.Then I had cut one of the wires to each bulb that I had to splice back together.They look better not sticking out a half a foot.

Back