Anyone shave down stock seat foam?

Sesty

H.E. Pennypacker
Reaction score
wondering if anyone has had success lowering the stock seat foam and re-wrapping it? i thought i saw someone do that in one of their builds but i cant find it...:confused:

in the future id like to get a new seat, but want to save money and get it running first.

Id like to at least bring the passenger seat bump down to level with the front of the seat.

like this?

main.php

It is a E / F or 2F seat pan and foam. It was cut down to have a straight line. But... the cover is handmade, that was not a cheap solution;-)

I am not sure if we are talking about the same model, so here is a link, how the seat looks originally:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9128

Just keep in mind that your pillion will not like the lower seat height as their legs will be cramped and the viability for them will be limited. If you don't plan on riding with a pillion, then this won't be a concern.

yea i think that was the post i was thinking of.

going to try to reuse the old pan for now, a buddy of mine just got a job as a chemistry teacher and hes gonna try to borrow a hot wire foam cutter.

You can make your own wire cutter buy just mounting some copper wire on some 1x1's Maybe just staple it on there or something and connect the copper wire to a car battery... or your bikes battery, and it will heat the wire and you can slice right through!

Be careful, and disconnect it periodically so it doesn't over heat. Youtube/google will teach you how to make one.

my dad suggested the carving knife!

been having trouble getting my chainsaw started, might be the carbs.

82998321.jpg

Do it! I used a bread knife to get general shape then a cheese grater to smooth it all out:laugh:

Be prepared for a huge mess tho:D

This is how I did my last 77, I used an electric carving knife!

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/744012/

I am going to do something similar with the 77D that I’m working on now but will not use piping on the new cover and plan on keeping the rear passenger height even with the rear seat cowl…

Back