Headlight relay: CU Layer Matchbox

billday

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just installed a "Matchbox" headlight relay from CU Layer.

Here's the product: http://culayer.com/products.htm (scroll down for the Matchbox)

When you click on the link it looks like it's not available. But email the address on the website and he'll whip one up for you within a day or two. It's $45 including postage. It's very tidily put together and comes with 18 (!) pages of instructions and theory.

The install was easy and there's plenty of room for it in the bucket.

My other bike has Eastern Beaver's relay kit, but that's too big to fit in the XS bucket.

Why install a headlight relay? (1) It makes your headlight brighter, because the juice is not traveling through the switch (and smaller wires) on the handlebar. (2) It might make your switchgear last longer, because it reduces the amount of current passing through there.

Attachments

• IMG_3858sm.jpg
    IMG_3858sm.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 448
  • DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
When I go to the auto salvage yard I pick up several relays. They use them for AC, Heating, Fuel pumps, Lighting, and a lot of other things.
They seldom charge much. Most being OEM are rated quite high. Some up to 80 amps.
Some are very small.
I have used these on several places on the bike, Ignition relay, headlight relay.
Why spend all that cash on something you can do for a few bucks.
Leo

Back