XS400 Electronic Flash Relay Install

jigm400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so from doing my research (wasting money) i found the the XS 400 OE flash relay uses and odd 3 pin wire set up (odd as to current motorcycle industry standards).

i found using a K&S electronic relay ($8.95 from local shop) that you need to switch the center and left wire plug to make it work. This also worked with a standard aftermarket $4 relay.

This was very easy to do as the retainer cover of the plug unsnaps with a small screw driver then use a eye glasses screwdriver to release the lock tab on each plug and switch the position.

this set up will be very important when trying to use LED blinkers as the aftermarket relay that get will most likely not use the OE plug configuration.

pictures to follow as it is dark now.

I couldnt get this to work-tried every combination of switching the wires around on a 2 and 3 prong relay-nothiing but a couple blown fuses :laugh:

On my '79, when i discovered the original flasher was bad, which is 3 prong, I had a standard $4 auto flasher lying around and just plugged it in (552, I believe). Worked fine. No muss, no fuss. Apparently the 3rd prong was for the self-cancelling feature, and now I have to cancel it myself, no big deal.

At Superbright LEDs they have an LED specific flasher with the standard auto 2 prongs, don't know why it wouldn't plug in and work fine.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...DispPage&category=CAR&Page2Disp=/flashers.htm

You are better off using the two-prong and eliminating the canceller anyway. That system is inaccurate and just plain dangerous.
As said, the 2-prong should be plug and play...

Personally, I like the auto cancel feature. Mine works flawlessly and you can easily see if it does not cancel and hit the button. My preference, on an unmodified bike, is to keep it functioning as it came from the factory. YMMV

The dangerous part is where it cancels when it shouldnt, and you're paying attention to whats in your turn and not to whether the blinkers are still on, but the guy in the cage behind you isnt payin a dam bit of attention to anything...then its pavement soup....

Back