removing elecric starer....

sbondoni

i did it 1 piece@a time
Reaction score
I am stream lining, stripping , dropping weight to build a bobber/rat out of my 400 and my next step is to remove the elc.starter but would like some detailed removal instructions from the masters of disaasters so please im all ears ....

Attachments

• bike build 005.jpg
    bike build 005.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 402
  • bike build 002.jpg
    bike build 002.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 366
I am stream lining, stripping , dropping weight to build a bobber/rat out of my 400 and my next step is to remove the elc.starter but would like some detailed removal instructions from the masters of disaasters so please im all ears ....

I have a 1980 xs400. Take off the cover (under the carbs). Used a screwdriver and pliers to lift it up pull out. Disconnect it from solenoid. Take off alternator cover on left side. You will find the chain there. Hope I helped, Have a great day!

ok , sounds like there isnt much i can f up during this proccess ......right ? i cant get to it today but im off tommorrow so i will tackle it then . can any one tell me what is black and green wire goes to it wasnt connected to anything just wraped around the handle bars ???

Attachments

• bike build 006.jpg
    bike build 006.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 346
ok , sounds like there isnt much i can f up during this proccess ......right ? i cant get to it today but im off tommorrow so i will tackle it then . can any one tell me what is black and green wire goes to it wasnt connected to anything just wraped around the handle bars ???

I'm not sure about the black and green wire, but I have a 1980. I don't know if they are exactly the same.

I am guessing its the Handlebar Clutch switch. If I am right, it lets the bikes "safety relay" know that the clutch is pulled, and therefore its okay to let the starter to spin if someone was to push to start, the starter button. Just in case you didn't have the bike in neutral. Tobie

i got the starter out but when i took off the side cover i had oil dumping out of it . the oil also smelt of gas aswell ...... is this normal ????i also found that whatever wires are connected to the sarter assemply (copper coil)has some bare wires showing ???? i dont think this is good aye ???thx tobie for the info i do remember the P.O laying the bike down and said he switched the bake handle to the clutch so he could get it home , quessing it was never hooked back up ....

If your problems are similar to mine, My bike had holes in my carborator float, and pitting in the brass. so Every time I turn around, I smell gas in the oil. now that I have a different float in there, I am anxious to get a few miles on the oil, for a change. In the last 2 years, I have changed the oil 3 to 4 times, and till today, I have only put 1.7 miles on this bike. now that I have fixed and replaced everything for safety/ make operational! I am there!!! :cheers: soon you can be here too.

Thats is the trip to the gas station and back! :) ;) and up and down the alley a couple times, and first road trip with the bike since my wife drove it in 2003.

The Wires, go to Drewpy's Wire replacement. go into the top of this web page, click on the word Tech, then down under electrical, its says "how to" with a red *.
short cut, http://www.xs400.com/tech.php i haven't gone though everything, but the info is here.

Good luck
Tobie

thx yo but i did clean the carbs at the start of the build (clean,clean,clean) and the floats looked good (correct heigth,no holes,and floated when i put them in cleaner) so im thinkin there is a bigger problem than the floats ???? i have already checked out the rewireing thread from drewpy but im lacking confidence when it comes to the electrical end of the build ?????

My question for anyone who has actually completed the electric start delete is... how did you seal everything up after removing the starter? The hole where the starter gear engaged, the bolt holes in the starter cover, the hole for the starter wire.

Did you just use black RTV silicone sealant on the starter cover and bolt holes? Thanks in advance for the tips!

The 1979 2-f and a few of the xs360's had no starter from the factory. Try to find these parts to do it with I removed everything from my 80 ( even the starter clutch) and replaced it with a xs360's block off kit.:thumbsup:

im still working on this but have most of it how i envisioned it . i found a old lid from a tube of welding rods in my paws gee-rodge . cut it to fight and found a couple of small tubes of "welders adhesive" (i'll get the right name of the goop later) and sealed it shut , i did the same to the holes in the top of the elec.start cover and will do the same to the rubber gasket and the cover itself but there is a small rectangular hole at the bottom of the elec.starter "hole" ????? why is this there and can it be filled in and sealed aswell ????

Attachments

• clutch case 001.jpg
    clutch case 001.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 370
  • clutch case 002.jpg
    clutch case 002.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 346
its to drain any water that may get in through the cover.

fill it with oil and you can oil the chain as you ride :D

funny! but i think ill fill it in and seal it up to finish that part, i noticed that one of the wires to the startor asy. were bare and a little frayed so i snipped them , i dont want to rewire the whole bike just neede to fix these wires but dont know how ....any help would be cool.

Attachments

• clutch case 004.jpg
    clutch case 004.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 284
  • clutch case 003.jpg
    clutch case 003.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 287
my elec.starter is out and all sealed up and i just finished up my first rewire job on the stator . i forgot to leave room for the rubber garmet that i assume is only there for removing the stator and the field coil and so that there is not any oil that leaks out ? but ass you can see .....no room for that , should i not worry to much about this or just seal it up as best as i can ?

Attachments

• Stator rewire 002.jpg
    Stator rewire 002.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Stator rewire 001.jpg
    Stator rewire 001.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 314
you'd be suprised how much oil gets flung around in there.

I had issues with oil seeping through the ignition switch on the tracker and that is where the starter gear used to go. The O ring on the starter was there for oil and not dirt!

So you would need to get it sealed up, or leave it and you won't need to change the oil in the engine ever again as you will be topping up every day to compensate for the loss. Like they did for Brit iron!

:yikes:thx yo i will just seal it up then . Im trying to find out what the two wires that come off of the field coil . one is yellow and one is blue . what are these used for ?

Attachments

• clutch case 006.jpg
    clutch case 006.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 344
  • clutch case 005.jpg
    clutch case 005.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 355
  • field coil.jpg
    field coil.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 339
Back