Oil Strainer?

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've got an oil change question.

As things are, I unscrew the oil insert and drain plug to let 'er empty out. Then, I pull the oil filter and run the engine for about 15-20 seconds to bleed the remnants before closing everything up and refilling.

One thing I notice in my manual is the mention of an oil "strainer" which, apparently, can be cleaned out sort of like the lint trap in a laundry machine. I suspect this is the little semi-octagon shaped panel towards the front of my DOHC.

My question: Does that panel require a gasket?

I'd like to pull it for a cleaning (haven't before) and am wondering how involved it is.

I wouldn't run a bike without oil at all, you'll ruin the pump :eek:

never worked on a dohc but you will need to clean the strainer. Cornflake packet makes a good gasket :D

It's not completely without oil. Plus, I'm pretty careful to not go over 15 seconds.

Cornflake packet meaning ... the back of a cereal box?

Wow, okay ... so then is there any "special technique" to prepping the cardboard or do I just do a sloppy cut and hole-punch with some after trimming?

Oh, and here's a question: ink side up or down?

no special prep, use as is and no particular way it goes round.

the more accurate you cut , the better it will be :)

What about gasket paper? I've never tried it, nor have I ever cut my own gaskets, but if I were to get some, which should I buy and how thick aka what "stock"?

I used gasket paper, the rubberized kind, to make my sump gasket on my SOHC. Don't know the thickness; it isn't critical.

Cool.

Where can I order said rubberized gasket paper from?

SCRATCH THAT ... I just called my local NAPA and they have it :)

Now my question is, which thickness? I know you say it isn't much of an issue - BUT - they 1/32", 1/16", 1/4" ... suggestions anyone?

and, as it's rubberized, do I need to use any kind of sealer? If so, which ?

Last edited:
I would love to say 1/4" just to screw with you, but 1/16th is fine, maybe even 1/32nd. As long as it seals, it just doesn't matter.

No sealer. Never use a sealer with a gasket unless there is a manual that says to. If the gasket is right, you don't need sealer and if it still leaks with a gasket, fix the problem, don't just use sealer.

Hey buddy, you may want to get in the habit of running a bead of black permatex around things and using that as gasket. Gasket paper gets costly after a while.

Run a bead, finger tighten nuts...tighten down after 30 minutes. Works a treat. I did my stator cover that way and no more oil leaks from my shabby paper mock up gasket.

if you do that, check your oil strainer, no matter how careful with the goo on the cam cap, stuff always comes off and gets trapped in the strainer.

I would avoid that goo stuff a much as you can it can plug up the small oil passages in the engine. :doh:

So, two more questions:

1) Once I remove the cover, how do I clean it
2) How much torque do I apply when refastening the hex bolts?

I used a 7mm or 8mm, then pulled the handle. Rinse it in some sort of spray cleaner, if needed, shake out the stuff that the filter caught. Tighten finger tight, then just a little bit more. not much, none of the torque settings go into monster tight settings.
good luck
Tobie

That's the thing. On my SECA, when I take the cover off, it doesn't seem as though there's a part that is inside to be removed.

You mean you're not seeing a strainer? Check this out: http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400rj-seca-19821983_model8909/partslist/A-12.html#results

On my 1996 gsx-r 750 the strainer was attached to the oil pick-up (it's the upside down square funnel looking bit).

I see a strainer cover/gasket in the parts diagram, but I don't see a "strainer" listed as a separate part. It may be considered one part of the oil pump/pick-up. It is possible that it cannot be removed. Get in there with a flash light and see what you can see.

Non-removable makes sense and has my mind more at ease. There's some kind of double-pattern to the gasket that I really don't think I can duplicate. My plan is to simply cut some 1/16" rubberized to fit the total scheme and call it happy.

Good plan? Bad plan?

see the attached photos.

Attachments

• 2012-07-28_13-52-36_881-1378331716.jpg
    2012-07-28_13-52-36_881-1378331716.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 2012-07-28_13-06-34_610-83025020.jpg
    2012-07-28_13-06-34_610-83025020.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 2012-07-28_13-06-02_89-401071154.jpg
    2012-07-28_13-06-02_89-401071154.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 167