So many issues…where to begin?

bornIIloose

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I thought I would start a new thread with some questions, thanks for you suggestions on the exhaust. I finally got over to my friends place to take a good look at the bike. I found more issues than I was expecting….it's a bit long, so thanks in advance.

First, this thing was a mess. So much dirt, grime, and oil residue on the underneath of the bike. There was also oil on the left side case around the spark plug (see photos). I have a feeling the previous owner never addressed the oil leak, and it just built up over time. I used some WD40 and some other spray cleaner and managed to clean up the under side well enough.

However, while I was under there, I saw plenty of oil buildup, and a drop forming on two wires I saw underneath. I couldn't get a clear photo of that, unfortunately. So does anyone have a guess at the source of either of these leaks? I am unsure of how bad of a leak there is, it only seemed to be a drip or two while it was parked over the last several weeks, but there was oil all over the thing. Now that it is clean, maybe I will get a better idea of how bad the leaks are.

Second major thing I noticed while trying to change the oil, it appears the previous owner very messily welded something all over the nut! :wtf: See the pictures, I have no idea why you would do that. Should the nut be removable? It looks like I'm going to be ordering a replacement from mikesxs ($15), unless anyone else has a suggestion. I also couldn't get the bolt underneath the engine to come loose, so I just drained as much oil as I could after removing the filter. I didn't want to strip it, but is this a major concern?

Third thing, the chain seems to have an inch or two of play, which I'm assuming is very loose. I posted a picture of the rear sprocket before and after cleaning (so much grime). Again, if there is just a minor oil leak but it was spraying everywhere and not being cleaned, hopefully it isn't a big issue.

My big question on the chain is, based on the picture, will I be able to adjust the chain enough using the tensioner? Should I just spring for a new one? Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• image1 copy.pdf
    724 KB · Views: 389
  • image2 copy.pdf
    843.6 KB · Views: 371
  • image3 copy.pdf
    572.8 KB · Views: 382
Hi bornloose, doesn't sound like any big problems to me :) The oil leak MAY be your oil switch seal which is behind the sprocket cover. After you take off the sprocket cover its just an o-ring which is located behind the small plastic housing with 3 screws (it has a small wire attached to it and probably covered in greasy oil). All you do is pop off the plastic housing and put in a new o-ring, but don't over tighten the 3 screws when you do it back up.

That oil filter bolt should may have been stripped and hes welded something on there to get a purchase on the bolt, and was too much of a tigh ass to replace it so just put it back on after lol.

I personally would just replace the chain.

I discovered on my '79 that there are two oil drain bolts. One is the under the engine and the other is under the generator cover on the left side. Either one works but the left side one is typically easiest to use with the bike on its side stand.

Thanks for the replies everyone! After changing the oil to 20w50 for winter, not seeing any leaks yet, so maybe the previous owner had something thin in there that was leaking. But for now, I'm happy!

Going to bite the bullet on a new chain just to be safe, hopefully it won't be too expensive. And will likely get a new oil filter bolt, just to satisfy my ocd. I also need to change the brake fluid, it looked like a glass of stout...

If you go with a new chain it is a good idea to do the sprockets also. Worn sprockets will wear a very fast. If your sprockets have low miles on them ( less than 1k miles or so) it won't matter as much.

... My big question on the chain is, based on the picture, will I be able to adjust the chain enough using the tensioner? Should I just spring for a new one? Any input is appreciated...

I don't think you can judge the condition of the chain by how much is left on the adjustment screws - not unless you count and confirm that the P.O. installed the last chain with the standard number of links.
When GTIDave helped me install my new chain, we ground off 5 fewer links - which gave a longer wheelbase.
Downside: it left very little adjustment room on a brand new chain and meant I would have to remove it and grind off another couple of links mid-way through its life.

Check out this short video. It explains why a worn chain will wear out sprockets and, it offers a rudimentary way to see if the chain is stretched too far.
If you do get a new chain, make sure it was NOT made in China.
Japanese made (like D.I.D.) are not expensive and are well made.
... Second major thing I noticed while trying to change the oil, it appears the previous owner very messily welded something all over the nut! :wtf: ...
I had a similar problem with the bolt head (not a nut) rounding. A P.O. had rounded it over the years by over-torquing. You must only use 11 ft. lbs on that bolt. Didn't need to buy a new filter bolt, as Santa had left me a small set of special sockets which could grab onto a rounded bolt without further stripping it.
... I also couldn't get the bolt underneath the engine to come loose, so I just drained as much oil as I could after removing the filter. I didn't want to strip it, but is this a major concern? ...
Sounds like you are talking about the main oil drain bolt being seized on due to a P.O.'s over torquing (I think it's only 33 ft. lbs on that bolt).
If so, I believe it's a major concern long term to free it up - so you can properly drain out old oil and debris. Both mine were on so tight that I had to use a 3' pipe extension the first time. After that, by torquing it on properly, there was never a problem to remove it again.

Thanks for the suggestions! I looked at the DID chains and it looks like I can get one for about $30, not too bad. Do you have a brand suggestion for sprockets if I change those too?

I saw this on amazon, price seems ok but I'm not familiar with the brand
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJ1R2ZS...TF8&colid=2MXER9F699S5J&coliid=I1Q3OOLINTU8RO

I tried to no avail to get that lower bolt off, I have no question that they over torqued it. I feared stripping the bolt though, I saw another thread where they suggested heating the bolt to try and free it up? Sounds a bit dangerous haha but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks again:thumbsup:

Sorry, no idea on a sprocket set. I did get a JTF 17T front sprocket made of Japanese steel and it was terrific. I am sure there are others.
Never heard of Volar, however, they may be good - certainly the quoted specs sound good. However, whenever a manufacturer does not state where a thing is manufactured and only that it is "imported by" or "imported for", I assume it is because they are embarrassed about the source or the product.
Maybe if you wrote to Volar they would be willing to disclose.

As to heating the bolt, I've heard it too, and I think the trick is to concentrate the tip of the torch flame on the bolt so it expands differently and breaks the seal. I would certainly want to clean the outside thoroughly of any oil and make sure there's no gas leaks. I would also want plenty of cross wind ventilation. With the crankcase full of oil, I wouldn't worry too much about overheating the case itself as the oil will dissipate the heat. But wait for someone who has actually done it to chime in first though - since I don't know if you need to fire the bolt for 5 seconds or 5 minutes.

Attachments

• JTF.jpg
    JTF.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 301
Can anyone vouch for the chains and sprockets on mikesxs? I was planning to pick up a front brake switch and some other things from there, thought I would save time ordering it all at one place

Back