HOW TO: Remove Rear Suspension Covers

wester

In way over my head
Reaction score
Hi All,
I wanted the clean spring look, so I researched and found on another thread that removing the cover was possible. Armed with a pair of tin snips, pliers, and tenacious curiosity... I went to work. In the meantime, I snapped some photos and posting in hopes someone else would like to know.

Enjoy.

2012-08-12_19-14-08_79.jpg

Be to start your project with the springs at the lowest tension. <--I learned the hard way 1/2 way through cover #1. :doh:

2012-08-12_19-16-02_279.jpg

It's easiest to start with the tin snips working your way up through where the reflector is attached.

2012-08-12_19-17-09_57.jpg

when you make your way to the top. It is easiest to find where the spring ends (horrible photo... but you can see the gap) and cut toward the gap so you have space to slip your snips in there. <-- also learned the hard way on cover #1 :doh: :doh:
You will have to pull down on the cover with one hand as you snip the upper most part of with your other hand. Or go make friends with your neighbor... can't hurt.

2012-08-12_19-19-16_359.jpg

Made it to the top! Now bend the cover backward until you are able to slip it off of the springs. I found it easier to bend inward toward the spring and not back as the picture shows.

2012-08-12_19-21-28_979.jpg

The final result.

Happy Snipping! :thumbsup:

As shown in the first picture, insert a rod of somekind into the bottom spring stopper with the stepped bottom. Twist it so the steps bump over until you're at the last one, the shortest one, closest to the spring.
20170103_171919 (Medium).jpg
The alternative would be to actually compress the spring. It's how I removed the covers from my suspension and didn't have to cut them up, but it does involve removing the suspension from the bike.
Remove the suspension, compress the spring, loosen the nut under the top cap (visible in the last picture), unscrew the top cap, remove the covers, screw the cap back on, and tighten the nut again.

A small suspension spring compression tool is probably the best thing to use but I was able to compress the springs using a couple ratchet tiedown straps.

Back